Digitalis 'illumination'

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by stephenprudence, Jun 20, 2013.

1. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,368
    I realise this topic has probably been started on here before but I was wondering if anyone grew it, have you managed to overwinter it, and what it's growth habit is like.

Don't get me wrong Foxgloves are a lovely sight (and that's from someone who has only exotic interests), however I am interested in the Isoplexis genes, and what they would result in, in terms of growth habit.

Foxgloves are evergreen biennials, but Digitalis x isoplexis claims to be a perennial evergreen.. so with it's growth genetics probably coming from Isoplexis, I fear it will share the tender cold hardiness with Isoplexis too.

I wonder, given it's evergreen, if it did turn out to be winter hardy, would it grow a habit similar to Echium pininana (1 large pseudostem), with growth coming off it in candelabra formation - like many Canary Island natives?

Anyone got anything?

2. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered my Digitalis 'illumination' last year after it caught my eye from the Chelsea show 2012...it didn't arrive till April this year....'due to high demand'.....They are just starting to bloom ...so as yet can't help you on the 'overwintering front'....but i'll be interested to here what others say:dbgrtmb:

3. stephenprudence

Ratings:
    +2,368
    I'm always fascinated by these crosses, I just took a closer look to determine the constituent parts of the plant.

The leaf shape is definitely closer resemblence to Isoplexis, while the feel of the leaf is definitely more like Digitalis..

The flower type bears a good resemblance to Isoplexis, and not so much resemblance to Foxglove, but the way in which to flowers are arranged are more like Digitalis than Isoplexis.

The stems are definitely Isoplexis, and not Digitalis, however the adjoining leaf spurs are more like Digitalis than Isoplexis.

The basal stem is perhaps marginally more like Digitalis than Isoplexis.

The multi stem habit is an Isoplexis habit, and not a Digitalis habit.

The colour of the flowers are mostly derived from Isoplexis

The perennial growth is also derived from Isoplexis.

I don't know whether it should be called 'Digitalis illumination' therefore, as it seems there is more Isoplexis genetic material in it, albeit ever so slightly so?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      I got one a few weeks ago (for three quid instead of the tenner upwards last year!) so have no idea as to hardiness either. Mine is sited in a dry sheltered spot to give it the best chance over the winter. My Isoplexis canariensis certainly proved not to be hardy though.

A couple of quotes from the breeder Charles Vain (taken from this page) which are a little confusing........................

"Unfortunately it turned out that the germination of the hybrid seed was very low, so we decided to produce vegetative clones instead, and propagate by tissue culture."

And then.....................

"and because the hybrid is entirely sterile it keeps on flowering and sending new flower spikes all summer long."

So maybe it is not totally sterile but T&M would just prefer it to be thought of as sterile?

As an aside, I have Isoplexis isabelliana germinating at the moment.

• stephenprudence

Ratings:
      +2,368
      I suspect the original cross was done with seeds , but the large commercial cross was done with vegetative genetic propagation. I imagine some of the hybrids will set seed though, especially those with higher Digitalis constituent.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +48,844
        I got two free from T&M as part of an apology for failing to supply dahlias this year - they have been in a pot for the past week or so, to come on a bit and I will most likely plant them out this weekend; if you see them in any of my garden photos next year, that means they overwinter well as its doubtful that I would buy them

• JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,239
        I had one last year, it's survived the winter but has not looked very healthy since.
        Gardening Which? magazine grew some but lost all theirs in the winter.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
          Ratings:
          +31,018
          Had a google. I don't like it - too "quirky" in my opinion,
          Jenny

• Disagree Disagree x 1
          • stephenprudence

Ratings:
            +2,368
            JazzSi, where do you live? are you ina milder part of the country?

Jenny, I does appear quirky, but in the flesh it's actually quite nice, it looks very nice.. but it's a hybrid of primary parents (so both plants are of pure breed).

The hybridisation of the species has had a huge influence on Isoplexis canariensis being renamed Digitalis canariensis

• Agree Agree x 1
            • JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,239
            • stephenprudence

Ratings:
              +2,368
              That's ok, it's a little milder here on the coast so perhaps it may look better after a winter... we'll find out I suppose?

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              My 'Illuminations' have got through the winter but now they need re potting...i'm a bit confused as to whether i should cut the 'main stem' off:dunno:...there seems to be some new growth on them...can anyone advise please:dbgrtmb:

P1030254.JPG

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,089
              Jenny!! Somehow I thought that this would be right up your street.

Here's mine today....................
              [​IMG]

It's come through the winter well. Indeed, it has been in bloom (not very well) all winter..............
              [​IMG]

Look closely and it appears to be forming seed pods..............
              [​IMG]

Whether they will come to anything I have no idea. It is supposed to be sterile.

Here is a baby Illumination Chelsea Gold that someone sent me a couple of weeks ago................
              [​IMG]

Very slightly off topic, but related, here's one of my Isoplexis isabelliana seedlings...............
              [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2