1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Diosma pink fountain

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Karen1986, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Karen1986

Karen1986 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

Looking for a bit advice re my diosma pink fountain. I’m a very new gardener so maybe I’m missing something obvious.

I lifted stones/membrane and planted the diosma last spring. The soil was all compacted like glue and full of stone/brick so I dug a lot out and mixed through compost and fish bone and blood. The diosma was looking good and had grown but now looks yellow as though it’s dying (over past couple of months). I’ve just given it a good water and added some ericaceous feed. Would appreciate some advice. I’m in Scotland and my garden gets a good bit of sun

thanks

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,969
    Not something I know much about but it appears to come from S Africa and maybe not totally hardy.
    It also appears to like lime free conditions, which could be why its yellow, if you have alkaline soil.
    I wouldn't feed it yet, or water it, unless you have had some very dry weather.

Give it time, and see what it does, its still early.

3. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,343
    Hi @Karen1986 I have grown this a lot and it coped fine with fairly dry conditions in East Midlands - it is less happy now it is in soggier soil in Wales, so I don't think it should need much watering at the moment! It should freshen up the growth as we come into Spring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Karen1986

Karen1986 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +5
      Thanks both for your replies. I’ll try leaving it and see how it gets on!