Direct sow?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,882
    I am late starting (again) this year, and am wondering what I will get away with direct sowing... things like beetroot should be fine, not least as I am going to do them in our barrels, but what about things like peas, French beans?

Sweetcorn I wouldn't risk as it is a battle to stop the mice nicking them even when they are started in the greenhouse.

Spring onions should be OK? Never had any success with them, but going to give them a shot again.

I assume leeks can't be direct sown?

What of brassicas?

I can provide a full list of what I have if it is of interest.

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +117,311
      We tend to never direct sow as you're not going to know whether they have been got at by wildlife etc. We sow indoors and bring them on either indoors until germinated or in the greenhouse.

Definitely too early to plant out things like beans. The seeds may just rot if the weather isn't right. You shouldn't even sow beans indoors until mid April. We do some earlier because we have plenty of beans and if they germinate quickly we're able to keep them protected from frosts.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Alisa

Alisa Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,551
        Beetroots, spring onions (seeds), peas are always successful for me sown directly. Lettuces are ok in greenhouse, but sown directly outside they partially disappear. I surround sowings with crushed eggshells.
        My garden has brick walls all around, no rabbits etc. Just birds and squirrels.

• Like Like x 1
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +48,882
          I would love to not have to direct sow, but truthfully I don't have the space to bring enough on in the greenhouse to avoid doing to.

I can net stuff (I think I still have netting somewhere) to offer some protection.

Ran into a bit of a brick wall for today though sadly - the compost we had (not a lot to be fair) is now dryer than a dry mans dry thing, so not a hope of sowing anything in it. Will need to pick up some compost on the way home tomorrow.