1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Disappointing Compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Tiarella, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    When we moved to our new home last year, there was an established compost bin. I was looking forward to using the compost but now I find that, when I try to dig it out at the bottom of the bin, it seems to be a load of mud. Not sure what to do. The bin is on a hard concrete base, which might have something to do with it.

Any ideas/suggestions?

2. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Not sure if this is correct but mine are placed straight onto the bare earth, this allows the worms to get in and do their work. Is it possible that you could move it into such a position and start again? [​IMG]

3. Tiarella

Ratings:
    +120
    Hmmmmm, I take your point. I'll have to think about that one.

4. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Good point from Stingo.

If you have no space to put the bin on soil, try a bed of twigs in the base to let the air in.

It's probably a good idea to remove contents and re fill the bin, and maybe add some compost accelerator and / or some extra worms.

5. vegman

vegman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Compost bins are best stood on bare earth as it helps worms and bacteria to enter which are necessary to the process. Also aids drainage too. Cover the bin with a sheet of something to keep the water out. If the bin gets really dry then chuck a bucket of water into it preferabbly with a bit of nitrogen added to aid decomposition.

6. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    What would you use for the nitrogen bit vegman?

7. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    I don't know about the nitrogen but I believe that Aluminium Sulphate is a good additive to a compost heap
    I know that it lowers the ph of soil but I can't remember where I read that it helps activate the compost heap
    Am I right on this?

8. lapod

lapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    For soem reason one of my wormeries has failed I think becasue it took the brunto of the heat wave and I was really only concerend about cold.It is in this same state that oyu described -I had overwintered this one for five years but it is quite repulsive now -I was intending to put the muddy mess into a new compost bin with some soil at the base and then layer it with mewwpapers or kitchen papers, calcified seaweed and introduce moreworms from another heap.This has worked for me in the past when I was a beginner and was losing worms every winter.

9. Tiarella

Ratings:
    +120
    Thanks for the advice, I think I'll try the twigs at the bottom idea as, having checked, I can't really move the compost bins elsewhere.

10. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    My experience of worms is that they get everywhere. Every time I lift something that has been left a few days, even if there is only a trace of soil they are there. So I think they'll get to the compost bin, but I agree it's a good idea to empty it out and restart. Nettles and comfrey are good accelerators or you can use a commercial accelerator like Garrotta. [If you have a resident male you can always ask him to pee on it occasionally, this is also a good
    accelerator!]

11. Clare Marie 26

Clare Marie 26 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Recently bought compost bin from council run organisation, they have loads of composting tips available. Their website address is WWW.RECYCLENOW.COM/COMPOST well worth a look!

12. david22

david22 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    laying twigs and shredded paper is a good idea,but i would also emty the bin, and put the top on the bottom &vice versa, then add fresh waste, and composte accelerator, this should work and give you composte in (approx)3mnths.
    it will help to keep the contents wet and warm.

13. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have two council compost bins cost me �£5 each and they are excellant. I have had them now 2 years, compost pretty fast.we even put our tea bags in it. I shall be empty both bins in the autum on the allotment. allotment borders my garden. It is worth having these compost bins.