1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Disappointing Mock Orange

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Salgor, May 17, 2011.

1. Salgor

Salgor Gardener

Ratings:
    +38
    I have had a double mock orange, in a very large container, for about 4 years. In all this time it has never flowered although it always comes back with good growth. I do prune it every spring but wnder if that is the correct thing to do! I am quite diligent about giving it feed at the beginning of the season and also used liquid feed with the hose abot fortnightly during the summer.

Please help someone as I would really love to see it flower and the fragrance from mock orange is fabulous.

Sally

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    If you are pruning it in Spring then you are removing the flowering branches. Pruning of Philadelphus is done AFTER flowering. So leave it alone until next June/July and see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      As Palustris said, and also

"also used liquid feed with the hose abot fortnightly during the summer."

Make sure that the N:P:K numbers on the packet doesn't have a higher number for the "N" relative to the P and K numbers. N will encourage soft leafy growth, K will help with flowering. If all the numbers are the same, or the K is a bit higher, that's going to be fine.

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Yes, the thing to do is to give a light pruning after the Mock Orange has finished flowering and then later on in the year do any structural pruning you might want to give it. A high potash feed in the early Spring will also give it a :kick start" next year, while the same feed in solution form now might just help.:D Good luck:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
        • Salgor

Salgor Gardener

Ratings:
          +38
          Thanks for all your advice. I have probably already pruned off any flowers I might have had this year :DOH: I will def. leave it alone now until after it flowers (hopefully) next year.

Sally

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,881
          Mock Orange ( Philadelphus ) is just coming into flower now, so shouldn`t be pruned until the end of June at the earliest.:dbgrtmb: