1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Disappointing!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Val.., Feb 12, 2011.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Apparently Kate Middleton lunched on foie gras!!!:mad: So privileged yet so uncaring!!! :mad:

Val

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I lunched on bacon sarnies today.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,496
  4. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and Nescafe for me.

Chopper

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: Well Val, as touchy as the subject is, we all eat different things & have different feelings about it as well.... I am not a pate eater full stop, but I do appreciate that some people enjoy it even if I don't.... :scratch: I think it is something that is just personal opinion & we just have to put up & shut up in public..!! :WINK1: Unless of course you have stronger views that you think the membership could be interested in.....

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I had me new Charlotte spuds for lunch with 2 fillets of Pollack, more sustainable than cod.

I don't eat land animals on a matter of principle, but if I did, it would be free range, cruelty free & instantly killed.

Hate to see fish being left to die in the air. When I catch a fish intended for the table, I snap its neck as quick as I can, no bashing on the head which might not work first time.

Like Marley says, everyone has different views and you can't change someones mind by having a go at them. All we can do is question and educate.

Someone will come on and have a go about me eating fish now. I didn't eat any meat for 20 odd years & spent 6 months being vegan, so I have thought it through for a while.

7. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997

My wife has been rather radical about such issues in the past, but now is of the above opinions. I myself have been doing my bit today by trying to get a recipe together for egg & (vegetarian) bacon fried rice.

And regarding bashing fish on the head, I've got fed up with the amount of tutting from passing tourists who if fish eaters will probably be eating trawled fish that have died from suffocation, but say nothing when they see fish caught and put straight into carrier bags/buckets to also die from suffocation.

8. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Being so much in the public eye it would be kind of nice if she set an example instead of just enjoying the benefits, one day she could be queen!!

Val

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,503
    There is a possibility she doesn't know how it s produced but I doubt it.
    The force feeding of animals is controversial and is banned in some countries but there are worse abuses of animals I'm sure.

10. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    For this reason, I won't buy bacon or other pork meats if the country of origin is listed as Holland, Netherlands, or just EU. In Holland they have indoor multistorey pig farms where the grow pigs like tomatoes. They are kept in dark, cramped conditions, they can't move, don't eat or drink, but are fed intraveinously with a mix of water, nutrients, hormones and antibiotics to make them grow extra fat extra quickly. I can't say they are all raised like that in Holland, but some are, and because I can't know which bits of meat were produced this way and which ones weren't, I just leave all pork products from Holland. If it just says 'EU' then I assume Holland because if it was elsewhere, they'd be less worried about telling us where it came from.

11. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  12. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,503
    The multi storey merry-go-round cattle 'warehouse' is on the way, shown on Countryfile a few weeks back.:mad:

Unfortunately there is a large number (possibly a majority) of people in this country who really couldn't care less where their food comes from or how it is produced.

13. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0

I'm starting to get an idea of who you might be talking about, but still can't picture her face.:DOH:

14. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Wow. A thought provoking thread indeed and some serious points riased.
    Until about a year or so ago we, like a like of people used supermarkets as our source of meat.
    That has now changed with the use of our local butcher whos meat is mainly from local farmers and pork from "open air" farming.
    Big advantage is far tastier product.
    We also have a veggie shop just a few hundred yards away and the boss there will always try to offer local veg as I found out the other day after trying to get some King Edwards. Seems they are not grown locally..!

Am I against force feeding and comfinment of our food animals...? yes I am..!

15. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,496
    Not wishing to be too contraversial but do you really think that she knows how foi gras is produced? I think it is highly unlikey.

I think that most people have no idea how their food is produced. They have little idea how food animals are reared, fed and slaughtered. They also don't know much about how their fruit and vegetables are grown and what chemicals are used in the growing of them.