1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Disease on my potatoes?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by TomatoeTomato, Aug 24, 2017.

1. TomatoeTomato

TomatoeTomato Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hey Gardener's Corner peeps!
    I've recently started to grow some potatoes, after having pretty good success with Carrots earlier in the year (some small plots in the backyard. Nothing fancy).

Anyways, they've been going from strength to strength until recently when I noticed a few issues cropping (pardon the pun...) up. Most notably, the leaves on most are starting to curl up and discolour slightly, while a few have black marks attached to them. I thought this was dirt at first, but it doesn't really want to budge.

I can't see any bugs or anything. At least not from a quick look. I only picked up on this a few days ago - been busy lately - so I'm not sure how long ago this started. Any thoughts or ideas? So far things have been running pretty smoothly, so this is my first time dealing with a veggie disaster. Will try and grab a pic later if I can, but my phone isn't that great :P

Thanks!

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Sounds like you've got the start of blight. See this info from RHS :
    Potato and tomato blight/RHS Gardening

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • TomatoeTomato

TomatoeTomato Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      Thanks! That's super interesting. I've been doing a bunch of searching today and saw it mentioned a few times.
      I couldn't get a pic today, but this is probably the closest I could find online (source):

[​IMG]

According to that site, this is Rhizoctonia. Though I'm still a little torn, as the leaves look more like the page you linked. I might have to do a little more digging (again, apologies for the puns...). Thanks for your help though!

• Like Like x 1