1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

'Dissectum Garnet' leaves dry up ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by helen, May 17, 2010.

1. helen

helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I've recently purchased ( last Friday) a japanese maple 'dissectum garnet'. It was delivered by post in a well protected box and I planted it straight away on receiving it.
    It's about 40cm high and seemed (to the untrained eye) to be in good condition.
    I especially bought an acidic potting soil (heath mould/peat) and made sure of good drainage.
    It's been in it's pot outside for only 3 days but to my horror I noticed this morning that some of leaves are turning white and going limp/dropping off..
    It wasn't like that when I got it 3 days ago...
    I placed it in a sunny spot on my patio, sun from about 10am to 4pm, and have watered it moderately.
    Yesterday eventhough it was very sunny there was a lot of wind and the poor thing was swaying about quite a lot...

I've read that they don't like windy spots nor too much sun but could this be the reason for such an overnight change ?

I realize it's been a bit traumatized with the postal delivery & re-potting and I've checked the bark & trunk but there's no sign of discolouration or fungus...

Can anyone help ?

I'd be devastated if it died, I've always wanted one and am really proud of it...:help:

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    You probably have a combination of travel stress, potting stress, maybe too much sun and then strong winds (enough to make it 'sway quite a lot') and maybe over watering as well
    Move it out of the wind and sun
    The poor thing needs some peace and quiet
    Hopefully it will recover. Otherwise try the supplier for a replacement

3. GeorgeBean

GeorgeBean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to admit loveing some plants to death :-D

4. helen

helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Hello

You're probably right, I'd be stressed out after all that too!

I'll do as you say and hope it picks up... fingers crossed...

by the way as far as watering is concerned, how much how often... what do you recommend ? It's always difficult to get the balance right and I know that one of the main causes of death for most plants is over-watering....

5. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    There is no real answer to that Helen
    Plants in a pot need more watering than those in the ground
    Plants in strong sun need more watering than those out of the sun
    etc etc etc
    At the end of the day it is a question of judgment
    The plant should rest in moist NOT wet soil
    And water should not be added until it has used up what is there, otherwise you are inclined to keep topping up until there is too much and the plant suffers
    In the UK once a week is usually sufficient
    Once a day is far too often
    Once a fortnight might just be too little
    AND a plant in too large a pot can frequently become over watered as it cannot use up the moisture in the excess surrounding soil
    You get the idea? :)