Distressed Robinia

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Chrysocolla, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Chrysocolla

Chrysocolla Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    My robinia looks to be in real trouble and I'm not sure why. She budded out beautifully and looked gorgeous. I cut out any dead and all seemed well.

Then, she has started to have massive leaf drop. At first I thought it must be a caterpillar or bug of some sort as all the leaves were going off a complete stem, leaving the bare stem, but I have been unable to find traces of anything. A few of the leaves have brown spots on, but not many. Is it possible that the torrential rain I keep getting is knocking the fragile leaves off? She is looking terrible now although I have seen the odd sign of new leaves coming.

Any ideas? I love this young tree and would hate to loose her. She is about eight foot high and the golden form.I have had her for four years and never had any problems before.
    Carrie

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,371
    Its difficult, to say really why the leaves should drop off and appear more or less undamaged.
    I would have a guess and say possibly its scale insect, I seem to have more trouble with it each year. It restricts growth can cause some leaf loss, and covers the leaves with sticky honeydew that eventually turns black.
    Have a look here,
    http://www.realgardeners.co.uk/goodbadpois/baddies.htm

Bear in mind that the scale can collect on the stems, its difficult to recognise sometimes, looks exactly like the bark.

3. Chrysocolla

Chrysocolla Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pete. Will have a look. I have had scale on a camelia under glass, but never thought of it in the garden.
    Carrie

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    If there is signs of new growth, and you've checked for scale as Pete suggests - it could be just a temporary shock. Trees will drop their leaves if they are too wet or too dry, or something disturbs their roots.

Check out the local area and see what the soil's like

Fingers crossed all will soon be well.

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hi Chrysocolla, if the area where the Robinia is growing is continually very wet, especially after the weather you people in Derybshire have had, then you will get leaf drop. David.

6. Chrysocolla

Chrysocolla Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah! I didn't know about leaf drop from too wet. I have checked for scale and can't see any, but my garden is waterlogged! I have very heavy clay which I try to lighten each year and I did prepare a large area for my robinia to try to avoid it being in too much wet but it is hopeless at the moment, wetter than many winters.

If the cause is the wet, will the tree recover or is she doomed?

Carrie

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hi Chrysocolla, The symptoms of overwatering and underwatering are near enough the same ie yellowing of leaves, wilting and leaf drop, so I would say that as long as the ground dries out the plant should recover. Is it possible to move the plant to a drier spot? David.