1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dividing my gardening/growing space

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by cathymoon, Mar 31, 2016.

1. cathymoon

cathymoon Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    My piece of soil is about 190cm by 380 cm (in orange). And really close to property lines.
    The black circle next to it is the current compost pile. The spotted one is the one I'll make this year.
    The square inside is where I'm planning the greenhouse. Numbers 1 and 2 are the possibility for the door.
    The smal circles next to it are where my lettuces containers will be.
    A B and C are the possible grow lines for potatoes.
    The dark spot next to line B is a small tree.

If i build the door in the number 2. I will be making a pathway between 2 and 3.

None of this is in proper scale.

What do you think?

Attached Files:

• Creative Creative x 1
    • cathymoon

cathymoon Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      ShouldI switch greenhouse and lettuces so that they get the morning sun instead of of the afternoon?
      Next to my neighbours piece is a playhouse and slide. In front of it is the main garden with trees.

Attached Files:

• cathymoon

cathymoon Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,250
      @cathymoon
      How big is the greenhouse? How big the compost heaps?
      I would be inclined to put the door at 1 to avoid traipsing through the potatoes.
      Why potatoes though? I'd be inclined to go for peas, runner beans, carrots, beetroot and maybe leeks for the winter.

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,623
      I'd be tempted to have a rethink about what you want from your garden. Edible crops are all well and good - but personally I would get greater enjoyment from a garden with shrubs/flowers.

A 'normal' greenhouse takes up a lot of space - I have one of those small 'wardrobe' size plastic greenhouses - it does the job - it's cheap - it has a small foot print.

For longer gardens - windy paths and shrubs to 'block' direct view of the rear of the garden work.

I've grown spuds before and been disappointed with the crop - my advice is to buy some from Morrisons and enjoy a colourful garden during the Spring/Summer :thumbsup:.

• cathymoon

cathymoon Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      I'm in Germany.

I will be planting some flowers in another patch, closer to our padio (patio?).
      I'll will also be growing leeks. But for this year I'm starting cheap, I already have some potato. And have started some leek seeds indoors.

But the thing is. The soil is really heavy. If it rains a little bit it looks like mud, with some bits more dark. It's also completely full with weeds. I have a thread about it in here.
      And the green house is 140 cm by 140 cm. It's a cheap one made out of plastic. But will do.
      The compost heap is about 50 cm long/wide.