1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY archway with gate

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Jack Sparrow, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    received_412553087146254.jpeg

When I first moved here, there was a gate at the top of the path. When the posts rotted, I removed it. Since then I have had a couple of metal arches both of which eventually succumbed to the elements. The wind is exceptionally strong here.

The plan now is to construct a proper wooden archway and, for good measure, to hang a gate on it. I have successfully assembled an archway kit but I thought I could have a go at making my own. My DIY skills are extremely limited but I feel that cutting pieces of wood to length and screwing them together, is something I could manage.

To make the job easier, I thought I would go for a simple geometric shape. Something like the following;
    Screenshot_20211101-180714_Chrome.jpg
    I'm not too worried about it looking pretty. The honeysuckle plants I have are extremely vigorous and will have no problems in covering it completely. Instead of the fancy wooden trellis I would use a simple powder coated metal mesh panel attached to a couple of wooden cross struts. To my mind that would look simple but elegant.

So far I have a plan and I am happy with it. The harder part is the execution. In preparation I have watched lots of videos and read lots of DIY articles. Between them they have thrown up more questions than answers. If anybody could share their experiences with me , it would be most appreciated.

On all the videos I have watched, the posts have been positioned and secured first. This would trouble me as I would struggle to get them in the right position. I am not very good at making things square. With the design I have suggested, I could put the 2 further most posts in first and attach the first roof section. That would give me a single square arch. I thought I could hang my gate at this point. That would at least give the impression of a completed job from the outside. I could then build the rest of the arch at a later date.

I have read that I would need a 10cm sq post to hang a gate. That would mean that all 4 posts would have to be the same. Would that mean then that all the cross struts and rooft sections would have to be the same?

GATE
    I have looked around and found that a simple 3ft high picket gate costs around £30. For that price I wouldn't even consider the aggravation of trying to make it myself. These gates aren't as aesthetically pleasing as I would like but they are perfectly functional. I could always replace it at a later date.

A couple of articles I have read have told me to leave a small gap of about 5cm at either side of the gate to allow it to swing unobstructed. The gate I saw today measures at 100cm. That would mean that my posts would have to be 110cm apart. The slabs that make up my path are 90 cm wide so that would work out nicely. Adding that to my 10cm posts that would give an overall width of 130cm which fits nicely within the dimensions of the preceding broken metal arch.

I have a lot to process if I am going to get this right. If anybody could confirm or rebuff any of the above, I would appreciate the input.

G.

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
      Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +18,001
      It sounds easy and I wish you luck with it.
      I'm useless with DIY but I think it's a good idea to make the outermost arch first and build the rest later.
      I don't think the cross bits would have to be the same as the upright posts, I suppose those would have to be stronger.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Michael Hewett

Retired
        Ratings:
        +18,001
        If you look at the picture of the one you've posted you'll see that the 'main' cross posts are the same as the upright ones, I suppose they keep the arch sturdy ... but there are thinner ones in between. It looks nice so maybe you could think of something like that :smile:

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,616
          If that is what you want then just assume the main frame is 100x100 and just scale it down from that point.
          I'd make up two side frames and a top frame ,then join the two together.

You can just run the rails,(horizontal parts) just straight across the face of the uprights and screw them on, in order to keep it simple.

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
            Ratings:
            +7,623
            Two bits from me:

bit one - build an arch with tops which extend beyond the posts - putting posts in is not always as straightforward as it seems. You may hit drains - lumps of concrete from the previous posts etc. If tops extend beyond the posts you can easily adjust to fit. If you buy a pre made gate then post spacing is essential - which leads me to bit two.

bit two - a full size gate would look nice in that gap and give some additional privacy. I've made a few gates from scratch - it is easy to do - you can make a unique gate that no one else has - it is custom made to fit into the available gap. The only difficult bit for me was hanging the gate after I had made it - especially if the posts or gate were not enirely straight/square. It took me a few gates to learn this - but the way to guarantee a straight gate is:

- attach the hinges to the cross timber supports;
            - using a spirit level on the top of each support - attach the hinges to the post;
            - build the gate onto the cross timber supports.

Using this approach you can also adjust the sides of the gate so that the gaps are the same on both sides and they look flush with the posts - even if the posts are slightly wonky.

Hinges have some give - so if you make the gate and then screw in the hinges already attached to the gate - the weight will make it droop down.

Gates are heavier than you think - go for heavy duty hinges. I would reckon that posts of a minimum 75mm are needed for hanging gates - preferably 100mm

I would build the gate arch first using 100mm timber posts - install the gate and then attach trellis to the posts to make the climing frame for the plants.

Top tip - 25% of the post must be concreted under ground to make the posts strong enough to hold a gate.

Last thing - get a post level - if you don't already have one - they are cheap as chips and take a lot of headache out of making sure that the posts are straight.

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
              Ratings:
              +7,623
              My thoughts on your specific questions:

No. The posts are 100mm to give something for the hinges to bite into - you can use any size you want for the other parts of the arch. Once the posts are in place - would suggest you attach a piece of timber across the top (any size) to give added rigidity.

I was at first apprehensive as well - the key is to use the post level and get the posts straight. If you do this then everything else will fall easily into place. If the posts are not straight the whole arch will look awful no matter what you do.

I've been through the process before - and I'm going nowhere - so if you want anymore tips or help - just keep posting here. I'd be happy to help :dbgrtmb:.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +5,414
                This project has taken a new turn after Belle the cat was run over and killed earlier this week. It was my intention to build some kind of memorial when our previous cat was killed the same way 5 years ago. That never came to fruition but this time I already have a project in hand.

I want to turn my arch into a monument for my cats. I will not be doing anything until the spring so I have plenty of time to figure out what I am going to do.

Below are a few ideas I am looking into,

Screenshot_20211127-151803_Pinterest.jpg
                I also had the idea of finding a local tradesman who cut cat shapes out of the same 4×2 timber that I would use to make the structure. To test the theory, I made myself a template out of cardboard.

20211127_105209(0).jpg

G.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,201
                  Hi,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

What you may find easier is the get the shape cut out of MDF with someone using a CNC machine or possibly better, one cut using sheet metal.

You can see folk selling precut designs on ebay etc, so a bit of asking around will probably find one doing custom designs as well.

What about doing them in Copper sheet that needs no weather proofing and will slowly change colour as it ages.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                    Ratings:
                    +50,646
                    I am so sorry to hear about Belle.

I love all the shapes. I used to do craft fairs and had cut out wooden cats. Earlier this year I put up a cat to our K3 area (Kitty Kat Korner) ...
                    K3 22 Aug 22.jpg

I originally made them, and mice, to go over door frames (like this in my lounge) ...
                    Cat and Mouse.jpg

I had three different positions.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Michael Hewett

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +18,001
                      How sad cry.png It will be nice if you can find a nice memorial for your cats.

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +46,040
                        Sorry about Belle.

I just googled 'cat metal silhouette garden' and found some quite nice ones for little money.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Informative Informative x 1
                        • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                          Ratings:
                          +5,368
                          This project has a lot of similarities ro this one that I have done here...

IMG_3162.JPG

IMG_1891.JPG

...so, from my experiences.

@clanless is about right as regards dimensioning the timber. I used pressure treated for mine, hardwoods are not easily available here. Incidentally, the arch shown in the first post is inherantly unstable. Even more so if a gate is added.

As regards the cat, or in my case, the storks. I found the design online, and using a plasma, cut it out of steel plate. Rather than use copper as @ricky101 suggested, try making one out of aluminium. Nowadays, copper is expensive, but I would agree it looks better when it starts to age. Sheet aluminium is available at better building stores, and easily cut using the correct blade in a jigsaw.

• Like Like x 3
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                            +21,661
                            I always like a project like this so looking forward to it being created :)

• Agree Agree x 2
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Andrea Youll

Andrea Youll Gardener

Ratings:
                              +536
                              • Friendly Friendly x 2
                              • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                                Ratings:
                                +54,373
                                I've only just seen your post @Jack Sparrow, I am very sorry to hear of your loss of Belle.

Your archway look to make a lovingly created memorial to her. :grphg:x