1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Garden Levelling and Turfing Advice

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Usman Qureshi, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Usman Qureshi

Usman Qureshi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I've recently bought a new build and the lawn was terrible, and still is! The lawn is uneven, full of weeds and has a massive amount of rubble/stones/glass buried in the soil, which I assume is a house warming gift from the builders!

I started by applying weed killer on the whole lawn to kill the weeds, and now I'm in the process of using an electric tiller to churn up the ground to try and level it - which so far has been difficult to say the least!

Now I thought to myself, before I continue on this self development journey that I should seek advice and see if my plan is feasible or even makes sense!

In my head the next steps are:

1. Finish off tilling the ground
    2. Rake out the large stones which there are plenty of! Also the dead grass / weeds.
    3. Level the garden (Not sure how!)
    4. Add top soil to perhaps help with levelling and;
    5. Finally, decide whether to use turf or seed to finish off the job.

I would appericate any advice or suggestions and if there any shortcuts that would most definitely help!

Attached Files:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,160
    Welcome to the forum Usman

Looking good so far. Have you got a ladder or could borrow one, that will help getting level. Having tilled your soil will be fluffed up, it needs compacting. To do this walk on your heels, no joke, all over, it will take a while as your area is big. If you don't compact the soil will sink unevenly over time.

You should not need more topsoil, level by moving the highs into the lows.

Turf gives an instant effect but is more costly. Probably best to wait till September to sow but you could do it now as the weather feels like autumn. Usually at this time of year it's too hot and dry for successful seed germination.