1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Diy Garlic Spay recipe for Hostas

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by ricky101, Jun 24, 2018.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,204
    Hi,

Have seen a few recipes on the web, some using just garlic and water , others with soap and oils etc.

Any practical recommended recipes ...?

Used to use a spray of SlugClear but seems its been withdrawn a year or so ago.

thanks

2. BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,765
    @ricky101
    I have been plagued by slugs and snails in my Hosta's for years...I suddenly remembered back to a time when my dear grandad was alive and how he treated his rhubarb patch and how all the leaves were perfect with not a hole in sight. He used ash and cinders from the old coal fire...Now after using every bloomin recipe for killing these avid munching machines i.e. pellets, beer, copper, spray concoctions, sheep's dung and wool mixes etc etc etc.....I tried the leftover ash from the BBQ..try it you'll be amazed....slugs and snails will not cross it in much the same way as Diatomaceous Earth..It really works especially if there is nothing around for the buggers to gain another way in....give it a go...it works for all even my Lupins are left alone.
    Dont throw your BBQ ash away folks
    20180520_165618.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Touch wood, hostas here in the ground and in pots are intact. My regime includes copper tape around pots and a night visit with torch and saline situation:)

• Like Like x 2
      • BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,765
        I tried all of that @Verdun but in the end failed miserably copper tape is good for pots, Saline for me at least did more harm than good (maybe my concentration was, well, too saline lol) but I drew the line at strapping a lamp to my head whilst rummaging around in the dark hahahahahahaha..my neighbours already think I'm nuts lol

• Like Like x 1
        • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,093
          Its really strange in our garden. We have plenty slugs,big ones huge ones thousands of small ones hut none seem interested in the 40 odd hostas? Some might have a small odd hole in a leaf but the majority are unmarked.

..?..

• Like Like x 2
          • BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,765
            Summat must be keeping them in check @WeeTam...hedgehogs, frogs, birds...Hosta's are like a magnet to these slithering gastropods

• Agree Agree x 1
            • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,093
              We do have loads of birds and the odd hedgehog or two but next to the hostas in one bed we have a purple leaved plant thats munched big time. It looks like it been hit with a shotgun blast byt the hostas next to it are mint? Weird :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
              • Fflur

Fflur Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                +7
                In my last garden I resorted to putting them in hanging baskets but that never looked good. In this garden snails went for my dahlias the first night I put them out. We sprayed the pots with wd40 and put them on metal stands. One or both of these methods work but I'll have to keep them in their pots. I'll try the dahlias in large containers when they start to flower but i am still wary of hostas