1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

do bulbs such as Muscari, Tulips, Hycianth's, asiatic lilllies and tree lillies, Alliums, anemone, c

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Shaneoak, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi-Hope everyone is well and ok.

Do do bulbs such as Muscari, Tulips, Hyacinth's, Asiatic Lillie's and tree lilies, Alliums, anemone and crocus need watering once they've started to bloom? Some of my hyacinths look like they're struggling to bloom whilst others are in full bloom same with the muscrai. The soil looks very dry. I don't have a particularly soggy gardens and my soil tends to err on the dry side anyway. Would a watering help them along? I've read that majority of bulbs do not like much watering atall, so i haven't watered atall since planting. It gets wet enough in Leeds anyway!
    Doesn't seem to be any sign of my Tulips coming out of the soil yet.Although, they are May flowering species. Still, thought they'd have emerged in the green at least by now. I don't have the best of luck with Tulips for some reason. I think there's too many bulbs in my garden, it's not a huge garden.

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,267
      @Shaneoak Lillies will appreciate some water when in growth in a dry spell. Anenome blanda and nemerosa don't need watering. Mine grow under trees in an area that is raised from the surroundings and gets very dry at times, the important thing for them is that they don't get cooked in summer.
      I don't water alliums or muscari outside, most grow in a raised bed. In the greenhouse I do water ones in pots. Hyacinths and daffodils feed and water after flowering to build up bulbs for next year. Tulips really need a hot dry summer bake, shouldn't need water; they grow them commercially in Lincolnshire which is drier than Leeds and they are on well drained soil.
      Bulbs tend to form flower buds, in the bulb, the year before they flower so it is last years conditions that affect this years flowering. Hence water and feed after flowering, remove dead flowers and don't cut back or tidy up the foliage until it goes yellow.
      No, you cannot have too many bulbs in a garden. They come and then go, leaving space for other plants to be admired and too grow, before the bulbs reemerge next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
        Ratings:
        +88
        Thanks Nigel- You think it's too early for Tulip varieties that bloom in late April-early May to start showing green stalks/leaves now? I can't see anything emerging ?(panic!). I've had poor results past 2 years and planted some really lovely, rather pricey, Pink Victoria Secret's Tulips, really hope they show!

• Like Like x 1
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,267
          @Shaneoak Depends where the bulbs if in London I would have expected to see something by now, Leeds or Stockholm then probably nothing till mid April. Mine are through and have flower buds, but it has been a mild winter and the spot where they are is well drained and get early morning sun.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
            Ratings:
            +88
            I'm in Leeds now. Oh well, another no show maybe. boo!

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
            Ratings:
            +6,097
            OOH Betty! This is a stinker. First a simplest answer. All forms of life. Need water. Perhaps in simple terms. Bulbous plants in particular have that familiar shape and size, we call a bulb, corm or rhizome. This is a fleshy form of rootstock. If left on the shelf. It will by means of it's inbuilt DNA etc begin to come alive. Now perhaps due to an oversight, whatever, said subject will sprout and grow, not to expectations, but it will strive to reach it's goal. Botanically this bulb, tuber or whtever has all it needs to survive. Like seeds, these tiny seeds, bulbs etc have and are within themselves a wonderful storehouse. So a quick journey into the plant world.

Here goes. Seat belts on and 3-2-1 Launch. OK. Here I am. Me! I am a simple bulb. Thanks to my Grand Creator. I am a member of a ceratin family of plants. Fair do's, at the moment, I have all that is needed for me to expose myself and hey ho come alive. OOPs! if only I had been planted. Then I would have been given lots of TLC.

Strange but true. Humans. OK. Animals also. We all have what is known as a;vascular system. Simply. We, incuding plants have body network of veins and artteries that transport our life supporting needs around our bodies.

So as with us humans. We get a bit worn out and need a boost of whatever. So do plants. It is obvious tha should this vital 'top up' not take place. Then RIP

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
              Ratings:
              +88
              No idea what you're twittering on about to be honest :) Anyway, i got the answer i wanted earlier. Thanks for the story. Ciao :)