1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Echium Pininana always go sky high?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Organoponico, May 1, 2009.

1. Organoponico

Organoponico Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I got a hold of a seedling last year, protected over the winter and have planted it in full sun. It's looking healthy with new growth but only about 20" high. The question is what makes them 'go for it' and have a huge flower? thanks

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I would have thought where you live you would have the ideal conditions for them to grow and it's just a matter of time,I live in the N W of england and planted seeds last year 2 overwintered outside one perished the other looked dead but I cut the top bit off it's now sprouting with multiple heads,2 were kept in a polytunnel again one died the other I planted out 3 weeks ago and it is 5ft tall with a flower spike the florets just opening, I don't think it will ever achieve major proportions but I am quite made up I got it to flower up here.

3. Organoponico

Organoponico Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen them thriving in Finland and the Shetland Isles so I think we can all have a go! I'm going to patiently wait and see what mine does and if it doesn't tower--I'll try more next year. Thanks!

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,532
    In my experience they can take up to three years to flower.
    Its only when they flower that they get really tall.

As you probably know they are monocarpic, so die after flowering, but the longer and bigger they grow before flowering determines how high the flower spike will get.

So if you can get it to grow three years before flowering it should be quite a tall flower.

They seem to like lots of water and the summers here in Kent can be a bit dry for them, likewise the winters can also be a bit too cold, like the last one, its killed the two year old plants I had.

But seedlings are coming up all over the place now, from the one that flowered last summer.

5. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Thats why there always so big in ventnor they have the perfect environment: very wet but not cold winters (although this year...) and very warm humid summers

6. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Well here's mine quite proud I got it through winter it's about 6ft tall from seed early last year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Very nice:gnthb:

When I eventually make it to my work placement (something always comes up...) I'll post some pictures of the med garden

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Great pictures Bob.:thumb:
    It was Ventnor I first saw echiums when I was on holiday there many years ago I was most impressed,look forwards to your pictures Aesculus.

9. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,532
    This is last years, its probably a hybrid.

Glad it flowered last year as I'm sure it wouldn't have made it through the winter we have just had.

[​IMG]

10. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,532
    It has self seeded for years Bob, but I lost a few two year old plants this winter

[​IMG]

And after the frost

[​IMG]

I now have tiny seedling all amongst my spuds, some I will leave but most I will remove.