1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I have a potential 35m giant in a pot?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Greenish, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Greenish

Greenish Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Is this what I think it is? A young Sycamore tree?
    IMG_20170603_192616.jpg IMG_20170603_192558.jpg IMG_20170603_192525.jpg IMG_20170603_192513.jpg IMG_20170603_192504.jpg
    I may have planted a 'helicopter' seed but I can't remember at all. Now it's growing rapidly and I feel some responsibility to look after it - trouble is if it is a Sycamore then I can't plant it as it'll be too big to go in my garden - eventually. Therefore should I just keep it in a big pot or will it eventually suffer by being pot bound?
    Another thought was maybe I could give it away to a garden centre perhaps. Any thoughts?

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,605
    Hi @Greenish and welcome to GC :sign0016:

It certainly looks like a sycamore to me - it will be happy enough in a pot for a wee while, but I imagine (I am no expert) that it will be wanting to send a tap root down at some point before too long, so its lifespan in a pot would be limited. I would be surprised if a garden centre would take it off you - there would likely be implications for them in proving provenance and being able to demonstrate that it is disease free etc; that, and of course, sycamores are ten a penny as they self seed like mad (as I suspect you have found).

Do you know anyone with some land that might want a tree (well away from buildings and infrastructure of course)?

3. Greenish

Greenish Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Fat controller! I couldn't tell for certain whether it was a Sycamore. I hope it's a hardy tree as things have a tendency to die on me but I'll try my best with this one.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,605
      They are quite hardy - deciduous, but hardy. If you got a really big (and I mean big with a capital 'F' :snork:) you could probably get a nice wee tree out of it for a few years.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,485
      You could Bonsai it :thumbsup:

Garden centres can't/won't take it :noidea:. It's all about plant growers licences.

A licence for plant breeders rights (not what you've done) propagation of lots of plants without a licence for sale is illegal. So most small nurseries buy in plugs and seedlings from nurseries that hold the licence and then pay a royalty for these plants. Garden centres usually only buy from their regular suppliers who already have the licence or who buy from people with the licence. :sad:

Things are tough nowadays with regard to regulation. We used to grow for some of our local centres but that stopped years ago.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Lacewing

Lacewing Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +4
        If you keep it in a pot for a few yrs but then want to get a rid of it eventually, do you have a local Freecycle or Trash Nothing group? - if you're not aware of these it's basically a group of local people who offer stuff they want to get rid of but dont want to throw away, it's administered online on a message board & then if you're the lucky 'winner' you go & collect it. I've given no end of unwanted plants to good homes in this way, & got lots of stuff myself over the yrs too...

If you google you'll find a group local to you i'm sure, & maybe someone who would like to landscape a large plot would be delighted to have a strong sapling from you :)

• Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
        Ratings:
        +3,269
        Can I just intercept here....

If you discover a new to science plant...or actually cross 2 plants to get a new to science plant.
        It is like a new invention...where you must get a patent to stop anyone copying your "invention."
        With plants you can the register YOUR new plant...and get Plant Breeders Rights.
        It is not easy and costs a fortune to do.
        In theory anyone growing it has to pay a fee to the person who registered it.

For example Elizabeth McGregor found a new Anemone.
        Later named Anemone Wild Swan...it has PBR.....Macane001
        You need PBR for every country!

Elizabeth MacGregor Nursery: Wild Swan

PBR does not necessarily apply to plants that have been around for years.
        Anyone can grow and sell them.

Quote....A plant variety right is an intellectual property right for the exclusive exploitation ... right, the Plant Breeder's Right (PBR), is available and is valid for the UK only.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • shiney

Ratings:
          +118,485
          Agreed. :blue thumb:

You can sell any other plants you like - as we did last weekend when we sold well over 1,000 plants.

Garden centres have a different problem and that is plant hygiene. Nowadays they, generally, won't buy from any supplier (even a private person) unless they have evidence of good plant hygiene. So private gardens are usually excluded.

We used to provide plants to local garden centres but had to stop because compliance was too onerous. Some of our regular garden centres would send people to us if they didn't have what was required and knew that we did. :thumbsup:

The guidance to garden centres and nurseries is as follows:-

• Source plants from suppliers with a good record of supplying disease-free stock.
          • Check whether your supplier belongs to an official accreditation scheme.
          • Nurseries - if possible, propagate from your own stock plants.
          Plants on arrival need careful inspection.

Remember to:

• Check for compliance with purchase order and any plant passport or phytosanitary certificate required.
          • Keep accurate records of all bought-in material.
          • Only accept delivery if you are sure that the plants are healthy.
          • If there are any problems, inform your supplier immediately.

Quarantine areas should be isolated from production and retail areas.
          What more can you do?
          • Restrict access to the area.
          • Be scrupulous about hygiene.
          • Use dedicated tools.

Hold new arrivals for an appropriate period and monitor frequently.

• Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
          Ratings:
          +3,269
          Well done on last weeks effort...magnificent.

OMG...no wonder you stopped selling to local Garden Centre.
          What rules and regulations..I had no idea!
          Even with all this we still get Ash die back speading across UK with trees brought in to Britain.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,485
            We used to sell a lot of Silybum marianum that were always self-seeding themselves all over our veggie garden. Apparently people liked them for their leaves :noidea:. They are pest and disease free - naturally - so were never a problem to sell into the garden centres. We just stuck them into fresh compost in pots, free from local nursery, and sold them to the GC for £1 each with everything going to charity. We were able to sell them by the hundred! Until the new guidelines came in. :sad:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              :heehee: Sorry, had to justify why I found your post amusing :redface:
              My brain translated: Silly bum Marian, hum? :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +118,485
                You split the words incorrectly :nonofinger:

We always split them differently and pronounce them the way we split them :snorky:

Silly Bum Mari Anum :rasp: :lunapic 130165696578242 5: