1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Do plant stems grow mainly by cll division or elongation?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SimonZ, Sep 2, 2018.

1. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    Hi, I'm trying to brush up on my admittedly patchy knowledge of botany, and how plants actually grow in a technical sense. I always took it for granted that the way a plant's stem grows is basically through cell division, ever since I studied this subject academically. My understanding was that the apical/terminal bud deposited cells by which the stem was then extended, rather like someone sitting on top of a pile of bricks who keeps magicking another brick for the pile and sitting on top of it.But I keep reading things which slightly contradict this, suggesting that basically most stem growth is elongation, and that the cells are just lengthening. So is a stem a long continuous bunch of cells that just get longer, or is each spurt of growth made of entirely new cells recently deposited?
    I guess a simple way of illustrating my dilemma is as follows: if I painted a small dot towards the top of the stem of a plant, and came back a few weeks later after a period of growth, would that dot be in the same place at the same height from the ground, with new area of stem above, or would the dot have become stretched vertically as the area of stem it occupies is elongated?
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 3
    • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      What? :scratch:......:snooze:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Hi Simon.

Hope this helps. Most literature puts this under Biology.

Primary growth in shoots. Just as in roots, primary growth in stems is a result of rapidly dividing cells in the apical meristems at the shoot tip. ... Gardeners make use of this fact when they prune plants by cutting off the tops of branches, thus encouraging the axillary buds to grow out, giving the plant a bushy shape.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,057
          Mike has provided a good explanation. It also depends what particular plant you are talking about and the stage of growth. When in the seedling stage elongation is more prevalent - imagine seedlings rapidly pushing through the soil and bending/stretching towards the light. You should try your experiment yourself to see what happens on whatever plant you are considering.

• Like Like x 2
          • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
            +746
            Thanks all. I thought it was a basic case of cell division also, with the apical meristem depositing further cells beneath it so the stem grew and it, apical/meristem, was always on top. But this video seems to suggest otherwise - at c. 1.28 it shows the cells dividing from above, it the new cells appear on the top of the existing ones, while at 1.53 he says "Growth in plants is mainly due to the elongation of cells," though presumably this couldn't happen unless they had already divided from the original cells at the meristem.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,665
            Not very scientific I know, but some plants grow at the tip while others grow from the base.
            Which is why grass, for instance, can take continual grazing and still keep going, from the base.

Lots of plants do this, while others grow from the tips of the shoots.
            Probably not what you are talking about, but my personal knowledge of cell division is pretty basic. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
              Ratings:
              +5,404
              I thought that was beautifully put Pete. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
                +746
                I feel bad maintaining this thread because the forum is mainly for practical gardening queries, and clogging it up with more theoretical and technical stuff may get in the way, so I am wondering if either a forum exists on here focusing on biology/botany (I can't see one) or if anyone can recommend an interactive site of this kind where people can post factual and scientific question for discussion. I suppose its the kind of thing found on facebook, but as I am not on facebook that isn't an option. I realize scientific expertise is not the sort of thing people regularly share for free, but if there are any such forums or sites that anyone is aware of I would really appreciate it. Then I shall be able to direct these sorts of queries in a more targeted way and resume using GC for its more intended purpose of gardening matters.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +16,246
                  Keep it going @SimonZ :blue thumb: I am sure some of our more academic members can help .
                  I like @pete "not very scientific " answer , never realised plants grow from the top or bottom !

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +85,665
                    I suppose if you look at it in reality, what I said is not really true, the bit that is growing from the base is actually a leaf, so the actual plant is still growing from the top, its just that the plant in question doesn't often have a stem, above ground .
                    A bit like a palm or yucca, grows a rosette of leaves before eventually starting to form a stem.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                      Ratings:
                      +6,097
                      Hi Simon. I believe it best to perhaps keep matters short. (says me, the forum's master of the scroll writing LOL). At the end of the day, we all share a passion for gardening along with varying amounts of nature study. Whatever our own level of learning might be, we all learn something from each other, albiet scientific or simply a method George has tried that works. This way. I think the forum members get to know each other, make friends have a laugh and joke and still enjoy their gardening. Although obviously having a scientific background. Truthfully I'd probably in time get tired of returning to the classroom.

Please continue to post and no offence intended by my reply. Hey whose nicked my microscope????????

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
                        +746
                        Absolutely - I have greatly appreciated all responses so far. And they have helped me to approach this question in new ways. I am slowly starting to come to some conclusions about it and am trying to do so via as many sources as possible.

• Friendly Friendly x 1