1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Do slugs like cardboard?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by merleworld, Feb 24, 2012.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I read on a website yesterday that apparently slugs like cardboard, so to keep them off your plants, cut some squares of cardboard and sprinkle them around.

Does anyone know if this works? :what:

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Mereworld.I would think that slugs will prefere to have the cardboard damp and a bit soggy as i laid some cardboard down on our allotment as a weed suppressant and found quiet a few slugs under it in hiding when the carboard had got rained on so they were then easy to get rid of:)

I often place orange halfs round the garden after i have squeezed the juice out of them and found they too attract the small keel slugs plus I find it puts off my cats from using the ground for their toilet duties:D

• Like Like x 2
    • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,729
      I've never tried this but it ought to work. Any cardboard I leave out for recycling gets thoroughly chewed by slugs and snails. But wouldn't it just breed more slugs and give them somewhere to hide?

• moonraker

moonraker Gardener

Ratings:
      +243
      Hi its not what they like "But more what they dont like"
      they dont like salt, rough surface ie crushed egg shells , grit as in cats litter trays or small stones, citrus peel, soot,

But they love beer "put some in an old tub or soup size dish fill with beer and they'll drink get drunk have a party and drown" its the smeel of hops that attracts them to the beer"

When had the allotment some of the members would have a stop over, ie a few drinks a bbq type thing and late on they'd have a torch light search for slugs, they all swore by this way of collecting slugs.:sofa:
      One night the police appeared as some one had reported hearing women screeching and thought some one was in trouble:whistle:
      But it was a couple of the slug detection lady members who couldnt pick the slugs up without sticks and when the slug fell off the stick it was a 2am screech time thing.:stirpot:

• Hadeda

Hadeda Gardener

Ratings:
      +51
      I heard that copper firm gives snails/slugs a non-fatal shock and repels them :D

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,297
      By accident and being untidy, I had left a couple of black bin liners out,
      next morning I went to retrieve them and literaly dozens of keel slugs clinging on underneath
      Just left them now on the surface of the bag and the two thrushes and several blackbirds had an amazing breakfast
      Today there were only a couple on each liner, so hopefully apart from unhatched my border is pretty clear now, No plants in at present
      When planted up I will have to revert to other means

Jack McHammocklashing

• Like Like x 3
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Slugs love cardboard! At least they left a small clue as to what's in this box. Don't use plain card, but pieces with instructions, diagrams, lists of ingredients, batch numbers, manufacturer's contact details on them, etc. as I find that's what the slugs are most attracted to.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1