1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

do you want a hawthorn.

Discussion in 'Swaps/Freebies' started by wonkeyeye, Sep 21, 2005.

1. wonkeyeye

wonkeyeye Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a hawthorn tree in a pot and it is about 4 ft. or so tall. It doesn't seem to like the said pot and I think it needs to go in the ground. It never flowers and the leaves are fairly sparse. It is not deseased and you are welcome to give it a good home.

Please contact me if interest :( ed.

2. wonkeyeye

wonkeyeye Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my tree is still up for grabs. Free.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry not for me - I got them but I would highly recommend them - great for spring and winter colour til the birds strip the berries. Great small tree.

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hawthorn, or May Flower as I prefer, has deliciously scented blossom, a beautifull leaf and some pretty viscious thorns that will deter intruders if planted in a hege or 'at risk' area. Unfortunately for me, all the gardens I work in regularly have self set seedlings crop up so I have to pull them before the roots get a good hold. They are small trees with deep roots so will be cramped in a pot athough you could grow them as a Bonsi.

There are also red and pink flowered varieties (Crataegus laevigata 'Paul�s Scarlet', a double, is a cracker!)which make excellent, well shaped specimens and The 'Glastonbury Thorn' (Monogyna Praecox) which flowers around Christmas time.

[ 28. September 2005, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: frogesque ]

5. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    If it had been a blackthorn and a bottle of Gin ...

6. poshpaws

poshpaws Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to give it a good home, hawthorn is one of my very favourite trees .. but it might cost hugely to get it from you to Scotland. :(

If it's still looking for love tho' I'll ask the company who transport horses up here regularly if they'd stick a tree in for me ... they brought me Frizzle bantams once for the price of a bottle of whisky ;)