1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else Squidoo?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by PaulD, May 13, 2007.

1. PaulD

PaulD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon All

Does anyone else "what???" I hear you ask! Let me explain, Squidoo is a great little free site (actually not so little) where you can create something akin to a mix of a Blog and a Website for free - you can donate any of the monies it earns to Charity - which appealed to me.

Basically you build a lens (that's their name for a page) and it can be about anything you like. it occured to me that it might be of interest to members here as a way of showing off their Garden or hobby.

To give you an example here's a couple that I have built recently:

http://www.squidoo.com/deck-building/

http://www.squidoo.com/landscaping-for-dummy/

http://www.squidoo.com/laptop-skins

Hope it gives you some ideas :)

Take care

Paul

2. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi pauld, that's very interesting. But i note there's a few ads, american. i take it, that squidoo is very much usa. Is there a uk version yet. Did it take you long to make a 'lens', are there any limits on enry and pics?

3. PaulD

PaulD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for the positive feedback. You do tend to find that the "Offers" are very focused but the adsense links that display should be UK based. I have been talking to them about the eBay Module picking up .co.uk rather than .com and that may come in time.

There isn't a specifically UK version but I do know a fair few people in the UK who use it.

In terms of time to build - I would say on average about 20 - 30 minutes (assuming you have some idea of your content when you start). Then I tinker with them every so often.

The best thing about Squidoo from anyone who is building sites is that Google seem to love them! If you do a search for "laptop skins" (without the quotes) on Google you will find my lens mentioned above on the first page and it's only been in existence a few weeks

If you want any more information let me know?

Take care

Paul

4. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    www.zoomshare.com offer a similar free service, thats who I use. No money to charity though :(

5. PaulD

PaulD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The other one I have come across recently is www.hubpages.com although I haven't done anything with it - yet :)

Take care

Paul