1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Does grass need watering even during winter?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by hedgefog, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Because our back garden grass seems growing even during this winter. Temperature has been mild for December.

2. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    No.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Autumn and winter , we have good rainfall and low temperatures. So the lawns will never actually dry out . As you have noted grass does grow through winter if the temp is above approx 4°c.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      No hedgefog :)
      There is enough moisture around anyway to satisfy grass needs now. Keep cutting it though if it is long and soil is dry. :)
      Grass here is still growing well and mowing is continuing

• Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411
      Grass grows all year round. but as has been said there's enough rain and moisture in the air to sustain it.
      On our golf course, they don't stop mowing. the greens are cut every week and some fairways and the adjacent rough get the same treatment, but not the same fairway every week. Our head green keeper put some feed on the tees last week. because he knows the grass will respond, even at this time of the year.

• hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
      +69
      Thank you for great info and advice everyone.

I did wonder about it, because grass is growing quite well here, and when I went out drive to countryside, the field was green with healthy looking grass.

Yes, I did give some feeds to our grass too, and it seems really responding well.
      But actually after the feed, I put the water sprinkler on for an hour or two, so the nutrients will wash down to their root system, instead just sitting on the ground.

Great to know no need water until perhaps March?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      I am slightly puzzled re your desire to water grass:noidea:. I believe you live in Edinburgh? I lived there for 9 years. Number of times I watered the grass 0. I now live in Fife and have a huge garden of nearly 2 acres and another 6 odd acres of grazing. Lived here 17 years. Number of times I watered a small section of the grass in the garden , once, this summer,but only when it became desperate in late July after a scorching few months. Number of times the grazing was watered 0. Is the grass in the garden and paddocks currently green? yes.
      Photo is of my some of my grass in October this year having had no watering in 17 years. it is a lot greener in reality.
      005.JPG

• Like Like x 3
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,476
        I must agree that I was also surprised about the idea of watering grass in the winter. I live in the driest part of the country and have never watered the lawn in 46 years - although there have been some times during the droughts (no rain for four months earlier this year) when I could have done so.

The main problem with lawns at this time of year is that they may get too soggy and make it difficult to walk on them without damaging them. Just the usual dew that the grass gets in the mornings is sufficient. :blue thumb:

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,090
        My lawns been wet for the last 6 weeks at least.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,327
        I seem to remember grass grows when the temperature is above 5°C. As for watering a lawn never done it; mind you I've never fed one either. The grass grows and it gets cut about once a month between April and October. Generates about a dumpy bag full of clippings each time. Lots of interesting insects, plants, mosses and fungi living in it though.

• Like Like x 3
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,830
          That’s how we do it too @NigelJ .

• Like Like x 1
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Regular watering in summer and twice a week mowing for me ......love my lawns :)

• Like Like x 2
            • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
              +69

Nice garden and great looking lawn. :)

We are not exactly in Edinburgh, but outside the city. I have not watered grass either. In fact, I have not done much gardening last 3-4 years due to other project. I have been away a lot, and the garden had been neglected. The grass was in terrible state.

It is only this late summer, things got quiet, and I was able to work on the garden.

I did lot of work on the grass to bring back to life raking moss away weeding mowing a lot, and watering. And now it is a lot better looking.

Last week, I gave feed to the grass, and then watered for an hour. As I explained, the point was to wash the nutrient down the soil and deliver it to the grass root.

And grass looks even happier and greener, and it is growing, so was wondering if anyone waters their grass :)

• Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
              Ratings:
              +4,411
              If it needs watering. I've these.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
              Ratings:
              +6,097
              I got rid of my lawn years ago, soon as the girls left home. They are now in their early fifties. I agree that a well kept lawn really sets of a garden. At the same time, the lawn can become your master. Even in really dry summers, the grass turning yellow ans straw-like and the soil cracking open can have beneficial results.
              A newly laid lawn perhaps require a watering, but in the natural world. Grass will grow almost anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
              Thread Status:
              Not open for further replies.