1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Mother Nature ever make a bit of a fool of you?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Apr 24, 2016.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I was busy digging over the beds in my greenhouse today, getting them ready for the Tomato, Cucumber and Pepper plants I grew from seed, 1stly in a heated propagator and currently cossetted on a very sunny windowsill and grow lights at night to give them a good boost. While digging I noticed a "weed" and was just about to dig it up when it struck me as being very familiar with a mauve back to the leaves......a bl..dy Tomato seedling! Hells teeth it looks better that than the cossetted ones and the seed has happily survived in an unheated dampish greenhouse all winter. I've decided to grow it on and see what transpires. It's probably a seedling off some grotty tasteless Gardeners Delight I grew last season and am NOT growing again. Have you too been made a fool of?!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Everhopeful

Everhopeful Gardener

Ratings:
      +433
      Many years ago we had tumbling toms in hanging baskets, winter came and the garden was abandoned. Come spring and I was ready to plant up the baskets and lo and behold a wee tomato growing away. Could not quite believe my eyes. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,035
        Apparently Toms grow very well on sewage farms, well they used to, not sure it would be allowed today.:biggrin:
        Tomato seeds are virtually indestructible, and self sown ones are always cropping up on my allotment.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Yep, throw an old Yucca on top of the pill box onto 2 inches of windblown soil, don't water it and just sit back and watch it flower :biggrin:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            • Like Like x 1
            • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
              Ratings:
              +10,739
              Same thing happens to me with sunflowers Silu.

Every year I used to carefully sow, nurture and then plant out sunflowers, whereupon the slugs and snails would immediately devour them, no matter how I tried to protect the plants.

I don't bother anymore, since a few years ago when a few self-seeded sunflowers appeared in the veg patch (must have been some seeds in my compost heap), remained completely untouched and grew into magnificent specimens. Here they are back in 2014.

[​IMG]

So now I just wait for them to appear every year, leaving a few to grow on if they're not in the way of anything else, and enjoy the show.

I noticed just yesterday that this year's seedlings have begun to appear. :)

• Like Like x 5
              • CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,523
                Oh I like that tip, I have loads of saved sunflower seeds. Think I will pop some in and see what comes up.

• Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +614
                We had a crop of Poppy's they grew around a dead tree, following year none there but a good crop in lines along the potatoes, this year I can't see any of them in the garden.
                I have a bowl full of the seeds to sow in the wild area, but I noticed a small group of white bells has sprung up where I had a mound of soil

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Poppies evolved to take advantage of ground disturbance, they can stay dormant for 50 odd years then germinate after an event like a boar digging, avalanche or a world war.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
                  Ratings:
                  +246
                  Yes, every time I book a week off work, it rains constantly :mad::mad::mad:

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • Like Like x 1