1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Does my raspberry plant look OK?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Leanne2511, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Leanne2511

Leanne2511 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there new member/novice gardener here!
    Dabbling in container vegetable and fruit growing...attached is a picture of a bare root raspberry cane I planted a few weeks ago. Is the shoot coming from the base a sucker and do I remove it? It seems to be the only bit of life showing at present! Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,988
    Welcome to GC @Leanne2511 ..no that's not a sucker it's a new shoot for this year,do you know if it's a summer fruiting rasp or Autumn fruiting..should tell you on the label.
    I find container fruit growing more difficult as they need to be kept well watered and fed ,I use a good mulch of manure.:blue thumb:

3. Leanne2511

Leanne2511 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you so much - I'll leave it well alone just glad it's making progress. I have a patio and lawn with no ground to plant anything so unfortunately container growing is my only option! I have bought some large grow bag 'sacks' from wilko though that hold lots of soil so may upgrade to one of these when it gets well established if that would be better

Also - not sure what type of raspberry plant this is, picked it up from poundstretcher for a couple of pounds and threw away the box after planting it!

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,895
    I'd stick with keeping it in a pot rather than grow bags and use John Innes compost no 3.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +611
      There are some raspberries that are grown in containers eg Raspberry Ruby Beauty - a Dwarf Summer Fruiting Raspberry
      grow bags are ok but leave it in the pot insome good compost
      I am growing my veg and fruits in containers and they doing well despite the weather