1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Does new growth indicate that the roots have established/grown?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HBK, Mar 15, 2011.

1. HBK

HBK Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    If a bare root plant, or a cutting, begins producing new growth does that mean the roots have established in the ground, or in the case of the cutting, that the plant has produced roots?

The bare root trees I planted have began to grow and some of my cuttings have gotten bigger so I'm curious if it means anything.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Sadly not :( although it may be a good indication that all is well, it certainly is not a "given"

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    From my experience, I would say not.

I think the top growth you see initially comes from energy reserves already in the cutting, although the fact that it clearly hasn't died shows its off to a good start.

It'll still be very vulnerable though. I've ruined more than my fair share of cuttings in the past by attempting to transplant them before they're ready, and accidentally knocked off the one or two very fine hair like roots that had formed.

My trick is to look for signs of them becoming pot bound. My rule is if there's one root showing in the drain holes in the pot, its still not ready, but of there's a number of such roots showing, then I very, very carefully transplant it.