1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dog ownership

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Some dogs just don't 'get' children, they don't understand the size

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,984
      I'm nothing if not balanced ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,605
        I agree fully with the sentiments on this thread, and many of them almost completely repeat my words to Mrs C when we were talking about this sad story.

I have had lots of dogs, of various sizes and breeds over the years, and never had a bad one yet; indeed, I don't think that there is such a thing as a bad dog - there are however lots of dogs who have been shoddily treated, and their behaviour (call it natural defensive behaviour if you prefer) is only the result of their treatment.

Over the years, I have made a point of doing a number of things with my dogs right from the word go; one of the main things being roughish play. A dog that has never used its mouth in play (play biting even) is a dog that simply does not know the strength of its own jaws - I simply make a point of recoiling with an over exaggerated 'ouch' when the dog starts to reach a limit that can do no harm; that way, the dog learns what actions will cause pain/damage.

I also make a point of bonding with a puppy on its own level. Any puppy will be more than happy to get petted and get treats etc, however I feel that it is really important that the puppy also learns its 'place' in the pack (family) really early on - - one of the simplest ways I find of doing this is with food (cocktail sausages are a favourite); all I do is hold the item of food in my lips (sitting on the floor with the dog) and then offer the food to it initially dropping the food in front of it, and working up to passing it directly from your lips - - you'd be amazed how quickly a dog can learn to take food gently (and in turn learn to be gentle with its approaches), and at the same time you are teaching him/her that you are 'top dog' - sounds nutty, I know, but it really works.

The other thing that is a problem nowadays is the over-humanisation of dogs; by this, I mean that they are being treated just a little too much as equals. Of course they should be included in the family unit, and treated like a family member, but there are certain behaviours that humans are doing that give the dogs an inflated opinion of their own stature - sleeping on the same bed as people being one of the main ones, along with much of the baby talk that goes on even when the dog has done something that is naughty/undesirable. Dogs don't really understand what is being said in terms of the actual words - what they understand is tone of voice, so chirpy baby talk when they have done wrong only reinforces to them that the behaviour is fine.

Lastly, the pressure to adopt/rehome dogs has gone just a touch too far; I had it when we got our wee man - "Why didn't you go to Battersea? Loads of dogs there needing a home without having to pay for a puppy"

Re-homing of pets is absolutely the right thing to do, however in my view they should ONLY be re-homed to people that are experienced in caring for them, dealing with any behavioural issues that might arise and of course keeping a good eye on them at all times. Inexperienced owners will have enough to learn and adjust to without taking on an animal that has had hard times.

I would consider myself to be fairly experienced with dogs, but even I would think twice before taking on a rescue dog.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,976
          Cant have a dog right now due to circumstances but I would at some point like to get one.
          At the same time I'd have to think twice about rehoming a rescue dog, not regarding any problems of the kind mentioned in the thread, but you just dont know what inbuilt problems that dog might have.
          You only see the happy ones in the ads, ....and they do a good job....But....

• fileyboy

fileyboy Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +421
          My dog (lady see photo) was a rescue dog .She has has a lovely nature and is very placid.I do not let any child stroke her unless they ask there mum first,then if she says yes O.K. I let them stroke her .I got her from the Dogs trust and have never had a home visit or call from the day I got her.The kennels that we got her from where some of the worst that I have ever seen,just after we got her we heard that the Dogs trust had stop them taken in and rehomeing dogs. I had a Lab. cross some years ago which we got as a pup,so as we had never had a large dog (our 3 be for him where small types) we went to a training school and he made a lovely dog,I finished up helping to train young dogs in there first years,they then moved up the ladder to other trainers and learnt more.

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,951
          The answer to that is because people buy a puppy/dog and simply get fed up with it. It is too big/too boisterous/eats too much so can't afford to feed it, poor animal is then taken to a rescue centre, thoroughly confused and locked in a kennel!!!!!!!! No wonder these poor dogs have problems!!! :mad: Also, particularly with the Staffordshire bull terriers a lot of 'inbreeding' is going on, the puppies sell well so people breed them., buyers are tempted by a cheap price and buy them only to find they have a dog which they cannot control!!!! So again poor dog is carted off to a rescue centre!!!:mad: disgraceful state of affairs, I cannot understand why there isn't some sort of legislation on this.

Val

• Agree Agree x 5
          • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
            Ratings:
            +10,593
            It all goes back to the exposure of a dog to the movements of children. AND teaching the child to respect the dog too.

But we have to still teach the adult human how to pick the right animal for their life style. Some folks should not even own a fish.
            We have to stop stupid breeding, (just because they should have a litter) ---really???

We have to spay and neuter more.

• Agree Agree x 5
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,600
              I agree with you on this Redstar. Living on a small island we have to keep control of dogs and cats here, including feral cats. Any dog that is found wandering the streets is automatically picked up and taken to a warden run kennel. If the animals are claimed, the owners are charged a small fine. Those that aren't claimed are taken to our MSPCA (Manx Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). Every cat and dog there including ferals are spayed and neutered as routine before they are released to any prospective new owner.

All dogs on the island are licenced as a legal requirement at a reasonable cost and collar tags are issued with a registered number for tracing. I think this should be done with cats here too.

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,984
                Working with rescue cats, I am all for neutering. And all these 'trendy' mixed breeds?! Please, they're just encouraging unwanted pups...

• Agree Agree x 4
                • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                  Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                  Ratings:
                  +10,593
                  I really wish, all breeders would stop breeding for ONE YEAR. And promote rescue out of kennels and spaying and neutering of dogs.

• Agree Agree x 3
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
                    Ratings:
                    +2,751
                    We have 3 West Highland Terriers, I rescued 1 from a house, I was working next door and everyday he was outside in all weather's there was no where for shelter, I started taking pictures on my phone, and one day I saw the owner go outside and give him a good slapping for only barking as it was raining , I went round and knocked on the door and asked for the dog and if I wasn't given the dog I would be reporting him to the authorities for animal cruelty as I had photo on my phone.
                    He handed him over and I took him straight to our vets for a check up, he was severely under weight and he stunk.
                    We have now had him for 5 years and he is the most loyal dog I have ever had .
                    But I still wouldn't trust our dogs with a small child

• Like Like x 7
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +52,600
                      Any chance of pictures please Ian. I love West Highlands :) and lost mine six years ago at the age of thirteen, she was never the healthiest of dogs throughout her life but to me she was perfect, I still miss her a lot!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +31,885
                        Bit careless of you there, Sheal! Didn't you keep her on a lead? ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
                          Ratings:
                          +2,751
                          This is my Westie I rescued 20131109_201730.jpg 20131109_201730.jpg 20131109_201730.jpg

• Like Like x 6
                          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +52,600
                            Awww, he's so cute Ian, thanks for the picture. :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1