1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dog wee!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by kimkim6181, Nov 12, 2010.

1. kimkim6181

kimkim6181 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This may sound like a bizarre question but am hoping you can help.
    I have not long made a raised veg patch in my garden. Whilst my dogs don't wee on the veg they do wee o the ground surrounding the veg patch. Are the veg still safe to eat?:cnfs:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    It depends on how much wee and how high your raised bed is. If it's only a little wee I would say don't worry about it, but if the wee is killing off the grass or whatever is surrounding your beds then it might possibly damage your veg crops, can't imagine eating the veg would harm you. I'm no expert, hopefully someone will come along with a more definitive answer.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I don't think the wee is going to be a problem (although not very pleasant if you happen to harvest a lettuce straight afterwards), as dog wee is generally not untoward to humans unless the dog is ill. The main worry with dogs would be leptospirosis - so I expect it depends how bothered you are by such things - more so if you have young children perhaps? and some people are bothered about such things more than others of course ... do you / children wash your hands ever time you stroke the dog? I'm not mad about our dogs licking my face (I've seen what else they lick!) but I don't get apoplexy when it happens :)

Faeces (sorry!) on the other hand are a different story. Do not put them (from any meat-eating [carnivorous] pet) on the compost heap (but those from vegetarian [herbivore] pets will be fine).

I wee on the compost heap - great compost accelerator - how tall is your dog? can they be trained? :hehe:

4. kimkim6181

kimkim6181 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone, thats a great relief, see it doesn't bother me but thought i'd better check. As for weeing on the compost heap i'm still trying to get my head round starting one but to wee on i would have to sneak out in the middle of the night and hope no-one in the nearby tower block is awake:lollol:Thanks again

5. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Why does everyone wee on the compost heap? Why not wee into a bucket in private and then put it on the compost heap? I reckon it is an excuse for some men to get their willies out! :)
    If I tried to wee on my dalek bin I think I might lose my balance. :)

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "I reckon it is an excuse for some men to get their willies out!"

Foiled! I've just got to wish for an intruder now in my completely secluded compost bin area!