1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Donations

Discussion in 'Member Requests' started by Sarraceniac, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I did suggest this to Daisees a couple of weeks ago, but I suppose (mainly because I am rarely serious nowadays) nobody took it, well, seriously. I would happily throw a few quid in to the running costs of this site. We all get a lot of pleasure from it and it is so easy to program in an email link to allow people to help offset the costs via Paypal or Nochex. Webmaster, I know you are financing it yourself, but allowing people to donate a few bob (or even quid :eek: ) would not mean that you would lose independence. It would still be your site but it would be a way of people saying thank you. Donations would remain anonymous, but you never know, one day you could launch on the stock exchange and sell for 23 quadrizillion dollars. Seriously, you could donate any excess (and I am sure there would be some) to a gardening charity. :D

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,630
    I would be interested to know how much it does cost to keep GC running per annum, as I havn't a clue. [​IMG]

3. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Pete, before my retirement, I had my own website - 'doityourselfbrainsurgery.com' Oops, the name is a fib. [​IMG]

But I did have my own site and the costs were not huge in terms of cash, but that is not the point. The Admins (as well as the moderators [​IMG] ) donate a large amount of time and expertise to running the site and, when so many people are getting (and giving) not only free information but also entertainment I think it's only fitting that they should throw in the occasional 'thank you'. Not compulsory (heaven forbid).

I could get a lot of the info I get here, off Google, but that isn't fun (there aren't so many 'heated discussions' on Google). This is fun, and you can put me down for 1/3d now :D (Now we'll see how old people are.)

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,630
    Last of the big spenders eh. :D
    Surely you could manage half a crown.

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,668
    I think we actually went down this road before, perhaps last year, and I said I certainly would contribute if need be.

I have also volunteered my "services" with Marley in the past if she requires it.

6. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Sarraceniac did indeed suggest it and I passed it on to Nathan who said it was very kind but as yet unnecessary. However, if he ever gets around to changing to a server with more bells and whistles than this one (which is very basic) he may well think again.

In the meantime, such a gesture is very much appreciated by the staff and, truth to tell, you're all such model members, it's hardly a chore at all to mod here!

You're all stars, in my book!

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    I best 'up' my appearance fee ;) [​IMG] :D

8. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I would like to say as well that this is by far the best gardening forum i have ever found. Covers so many other area's too. Very well thought out and an honour to be a member.

I would gladly make a contribution if it ever became possible.

Thanks to you wonderful people for keeping it ticking over :D [​IMG]