1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Donkeys Tail - saveable ?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by ricky101, May 27, 2022.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

Help needed please !

Can this neglected plant be saved by removing the long bare shoots or by taking the greens tips as cuttings ?

Its been on the top greenhouse shelf all spring and waterings rather far and few between.

IMG_20220527_171319773_HDR.jpg

We also have several mixed cacti on a south facing house windowcill and missed the early signs of a bad mealy bug infestation.

We have cleaned them off but this one plant looks rather rotten, though its spines look good, not sure if its was the bugs or something else, only watered lightly about every 2-3 weeks though the winter.

Again is it worth trying to save or has the rot (?) gone too far.

IMG_20220527_181204861_HDR.jpg

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    Sedum morganianum? Each little leaflet can grow a separate plant. The other picture is a bit blurred. I have this one and I'm blowed if I can remember it's name!
    We'll call it Calvin:)

3. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,679
    Hi @ricky101 , the Donkey's tail looks just fine and is even flowering. :) It tends to drop the older leaves easily, probably because that's the propagation tactics it has. The leaves will readily root so you don't need to take cuttings, just poke some firm looking leaves in the soil next to the mother plant stems and they should root and fill the base up.

A wider, bowl shaped planter would perhaps display the plant better. It will like a lot of grit in the compost to avoid rotting. Whatever you are doing with it now seems right as it's not that common to see flowers. Well done, please post pics when the buds open :dbgrtmb:

It's ok to allow the stems to go bald from the start, that's just the character of the plant.

The cactus looks quite sad, is it Golden Barrel? Some cacti can be rescued, google " rotting cacti" for practical tips. Depending on the type, the saved plant remains may form side shoots or new growth on the top. It'll be an interesting experiment so much more fun than just binning the plant. Good luck! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,963
      Burrows tail is how I know it, but I got rid of mine a couple of years ago. a really messy plant, keeps dropping bits all over the place and I found it did better in some shade, so left it out a couple of winters ago.:biggrin:

If that small cactus is actually rotten, like jelly, I'd get rid also, just not worth the effort, if its mealy bug only, you do stand a chance.
      The spines are the last part to rot.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +18,158
        Meths is good for getting rid of Mealy bugs, dip a small brush into the meths and dab it on them. Make sure you get into the awkward bits.

With the Sedum burrito you could use the ends of the stems for cuttings but these will probably go the same way in time. It looks better hanging up, and try not to move it too much because the leaves can snap off easily.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,203
          Thanks all for the helpful replies.

Afraid we have to admit, while we do like Cacti and Succulents etc we tend to buy what we like the look of, but do not really follow them up to find out their typical habits and preferences etc.

At least the Sedum burrito is doing better than we thought and will try and find a better planter or hanger for it.

We did clear up the mealy bugs with a cotton bud and some meths which we also use if any new phal orchids come in with them.

Actually sowed a packet of mixed cacti last month and there are quiet a few small ones appearing so hopefully we can get them to a decent size.

Also have about a dozen pots of semps in the greenhouse, ( some below) equally waiting for attention which once we get the greenhouse reorganised we will have space for a proper little cacti area or even a sand bed if thats worth while ?

IMG_20211013_180006512.jpg

• Like Like x 2
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,963
            I'd always grow semperviviums outside, they get bloated and out of character under glass I find.
            Looks like a few Echiveria there as well, maybe a Haworthia?

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1