1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't let your family on your computer when they visit!

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by PaulD, Jul 4, 2007.

1. PaulD

PaulD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning All

We had some family visiting recently and foolishly I allowed some of them to use my main computer to check email and do some general surfing!

Is it mere co-incidence that all my favourites seemed to disappear! I have no idea what they did but I have spent the last 10 days or so reconstructing my favourites and have also now backed them up!

So if anyone was wondering where I was - you now know! Searching for you!

Take care

Paul

2. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    that happens to me all the time paul
    i have a friend up the road who sometimes asks to use my printer,and every time he puts in his own disc ,i have all kinds of trouble.going to have to ask him to buy some ink for his own,or buy him a pressy ;)

3. PaulD

PaulD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the buying a pressie option sounds like a good one!

The constant refrain in our house at the moment, when I am at the computer is "What was that site that......." LOL

Take care

Paul

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I recently found out about the computer "restore" facility which brings you "back in time" to the date that you decide to go back to (but it doesn't make you younger !!!).
    This also means that for instance if you have something useful installed may disappear, but also harmful manouvres which you may have done for error will be "deleted".
    The process is reversible.
    You restore the computer in the following manner:
    Start>
    programs>
    accessories>
    system tools>
    system restore
    and then you follow the very simple instructions. (the computer will have to restart in order for the process to be completed)

5. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    The only family members who use mine work for the Government and use their knowledge to improve the system and keep it 'clean' [​IMG]

6. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You want to try sharing your PC with 3 spawns of varying ages :eek: Every time I turn the darn thing on I have a different screensaver, ranging from semi-naked shots of Robbie Williams, stills from My Chemical Romance videos or huge luminous pink screens of Barbie Fairytopia :eek: :eek: If the police were to ever seize my PC gawd only knows what they would think. :D :D
    My boy manages to turn the entire screen sideways on a weekly basis and every 10 seconds I have various adolescents popping up on MSN talking gobbledygook at me :rolleyes:
    PS. the semi-naked shot of Robbie wasn't that disagreeable, but that's not the point!!!! :D :D

7. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    System Restore has been my saviour many times Miraflores.

And Pal, like you I often have my pc sorted by my young family members.

BTW - will you post the shot of Robbie on The Muppetts Show thread, WM ? :D :D :D

8. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ooh, not sure I saved it..........as if!!!!!!! It's in my pictures and very well viewed :D :D

9. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Well...............................

(perhaps we can see the pic on The Muppett Show?) [​IMG]

10. miraflores

Ratings:
    +2,389
  11. miraflores

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I know what you mean windy.
    I haven't got three, but my little one, "the computer bug", is worth like three...she moves things about, deletes, creates, destroys, unpluggs, repluggs... but still I think that children have to make their experiences with the computer as they will be an essential aspect of their future life...

12. PaulD

PaulD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    They are coming back to visit us in a few weeks time! So we are setting up a "family computer" especially for them. I really cannot take another 10 days of trying to find all my favourites again LOL

System Restore is a really useful facility and I have used it several times when I have created problems for myself.

Take care

Paul

13. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    If you want to put them off, switch to Linux OS, that'll fox them.

No one messes with my machine, they would need my name and password to get into it and once in everything is different. They'd be lost.