1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't Like Their Attitude!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by DAG, Sep 23, 2006.

1. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Supermarkets v Customers!

My oldest daughter Claire took issue with our local supermarket recently when they changed the size of their counters at the checkout. Same size before the till, but much smaller after.

The checkout person was throwing the stuff thro' as usual, but there was nowhere for it to go, so it piled up in a heap until it started to fall on the floor! So Claire said "Why don't you stop shoving them thro' and help me pack them?" This happened for several weeks until she had had enough.

She called for the manager and asked why the counters were so short!

"It's just management policy to get the customers out quicker" he replied "So you rely on customers getting flustered and not wanting to hold up the queue, they throw the stuff into their trolley in a panic and batter their goods that they have probably just paid over �£100 for, I shall take my time and pack my trolley properly!"

"You do what you like madam, but it's just management policy!"

Should we put up with this and be typically British? ;)

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Dag It makes my blood boil the way they keep altering all the tills and aisles making them narrower so that they can pack even more in.
    The drips on the tills seem to be in a race with the customers,by chucking evrything down the belt so fast to see if the customer can pack it fast enough.
    They ought to train these youngsters in some manners and get them to help the shoppers to pack the shopping into the bags,after all without the customers buying the stuff,the supermarkets would be out of buisness

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,914
    Oooh, guess why we live in Portugal ???

We went to buy another concrete planter today (will put pic up tomorrow) and as t'other half had just picked it up to carry to the checkout he was "accosted" by a salesperson that he should not do that and almost focefully took the pot away and carried it out to our car before we had even paid for it! Such is life in "third world countries" as t'other half likes to call it!

4. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Mind you LOL I did have a young man on the till at the pet food store this afternoon offer to help me load up my car,so they are not all bad.
    I expect if the shop had been full of customers waiting to be served then I probably wouldn't have had the offer.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,004
    Your lucky if you can pass two trollies side by side in our Morrisons, the place is so totally cluttered up with all sort of wire baskets and extra shelving on the ends of the aisles.
    Going round the shop is a nightmare when busy and it takes ages, as for getting out the place, well thats only just possible, the tills are never opened, and the queues stop people getting around the shop.
    I'd go elswhere but tesco aint any better and sainsurys charge to park.
    I think the managers need a good kick up the arse.

6. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    We don't use Morrisons here because they charge to use the trolleys and to park the car,so we would have to remember to take a couple of quid in coins.
    We do most of our vegetable shopping{things we cannot grow like Bananas}from a local farm shop.The prices are more expensive but the stuff tastes fresher.
    We only use the supermarkets to buy stuff like washing powder and loo rolls.If we could buy it elsewhere we wouldn't use a supermarket at all.
    Tesco's are already stocking the shelves with Xmas booze,selection boxes and savoury nibbles,and we are still only in September,but lets not get into that disscussion again...

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,914
    Sorry, guys, I have to reiterate .. service is of importance here. I'll give a couple of examples ...

1990 .. we bought a living room suite at noon-ish. We were told it could not be delivered unti about 5pm .. at 5pm on the nosey the suite arrived. We asked the delivery people to take away our old stuff and they said okay and we gave them a "fiver" or whatever at the time and they said "you want us to take this away and pay us"?

In 2002 we bought two matching sofas. We were actually told to go away as it was lunch time, to come back in two hours ... we were mortified! We went back in two hours and the sofas were packed ready for delivery!

In 2004 we bought a futon-type sofa bed but far more advanced. When we asked about delivery we were shocked when they said they would follow us home with with item .. whidh they did and helped re-arrange the room for the new item!

When we go into out bank of perhaps ten years, the Manager always wander out and comes up to you and greets you in your language (Portuguese, English, German, Dutch) and shakes your handl. We always chuckle and say .. "just like at Barlays". Funnily enough, we have just had four Barclays open here in Algarve ... eek! Haven't used them.

Service is of prime importance here!

8. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Well, it seems like all the Supermarkets have a thing about us "dainty" little girlies!!!! Every time they have a re-fit (about every 6 months!!!), they put in higher shelving.... it can be a real pain, but then it does have its plus sides too..... I always need something off the top shelf, and its always at the back, so I just HAVE to accost a tall chap to help me out!!!! [​IMG] I have on many occasions asked a female if I can borrow their other halves!!!! (and you will surprised the number of them who say I can take them home if I want!!!! :D :D But I politley refuse, saying I have enough bother with the 3 I have already!!!!!) :D

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,914
    Hey, sounds great fun Honey Bee, me thinks not! I'll stay here for a while! [​IMG]

10. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Ratings:
    +54
    well, it depends on whether or not the tall chap is a bit of allright, or not!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,914
    Too true, I guess .. but how long do you have him for? :D :D :D

12. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Ratings:
    +54
    that depends on how much I can find out of reach on the top shelves!!!!!!!!!!! :D

13. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,914
  14. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    One of the reasons I do my main shopping on line each week, the other is it is cheaper. Less oportunist buying - or buying stuff cos I don't remember if I need it or not. :D

15. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    DAg,

name and shame ...... Which Supermarket chain ??

hey, that rhymed :D