1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Drainage advice needed - help :-)

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by MartinB, Mar 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. MartinB

MartinB Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I think I have a drainage issue, but conditions just don't fit anything I can find online or in books.

If anyone can help / advise?

- I have a loam soil, however, this is 1 - 2 feet of loam over rubble (red brick and stones from a previous building on the site).
    - I did the "fill a hole with water" test and it drains away easily within 20 mins.
    - Over winter I have a lot of moss growing on it.
    - I had been walking on it quite a bit while hard landscaping and planting the area, so some compaction I think.
    - I have maybe half the area planted up at the moment from last year, each plant planted with compost, loam, grit mix
    - site is level.

So, do I really have a drainage problem and if so what to do about it?

digging compost into the unplanted areas? but this doesn't seem to be a long term solution.
    Nowhere I look says how to improve soil for drainage when you have plants in the ground or a mature boarder etc?

I had a crazy idea of using an auger to drill down, in several places, to the brick layer then back filling with a grit, compost mix, might that help or just too crazy?

thanks

Martin

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
      Ratings:
      +2,381
      That doesn't sound like a drainage problem particularly.
      Not unless you've got a clay bed under the bricks.
      The moss you have there is probably due to the wet winter and perhaps the garden is shaded?
      As it's compacted the moss no doubt likes the flat surface. You may just get away with skimming it off, and then digging the loam over to get some air into it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • MartinB

MartinB Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks. Maybe, I dug it's surface a bit yesterday and it seemed like just a hard ish thin surface with moss and looser soil beneath.

For some reason soil related things just confuse me a lot!!

• Like Like x 1