Driveway / Parking area

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by andycoull, Jun 14, 2005.

1. andycoull

andycoull Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this is the place to get advice. I hbave a lawn at the front that I would like to convert to a parking area. There is a pathway that runs up the middle and crosses along the front of the house. My plan would be to lift the grass and lay loose stones and cut away a section of the wall for an entrance. I am not sure what layers I need to put down under the loose stones or which stones I should use. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

2. cathysue

cathysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Check with your local planning office. If you are actually creating a entrance then the kerbside may require lowering and this would require planning permission. Also you need to be aware of any utilities going under your garden. There are plenty of books around to give advice.If you go to your local building suppliers they will probably have catalogues for Bradstone or Marshalls paving. Both include instructions in their catalogues for driveways. Whilst you may not want to lay a solid drive, the priciples for laying a well compacted foundation would be the same for a gravel drive(I'm sure others will know better!) If the base isn't compacted the gravel will move around too much and you'll end up with a mess. Good luck!

3. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Not sure if different councils have different rules, but around here planning permission is needed if its a main road or bus route...a minor road, cul de sac etc doesn't need planning permission but you would still need to contact all the utilities to see whats under your pavement and how deep...kerb drop is cheaper by local builder but they do need something like 6 million public liability, and the council still needs to be told before and after so they can verify the finished work was up to their standards....thats all before you get to your own front [​IMG]

4. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,879
    In my area, you need your driveway completed BEFORE they will grant permission for the kerb to be dropped.

I would take some time, and go to your local planning office at the council. I think you will find that they are very helpful, and you will find out exactly what is needed in your specific area.

Nathan.

5. sallyann

sallyann Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Andycoull,

Sound Advice Nathan,

If in Doubt Check It Out,

6. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Interested to note your comment re: 'local builder', SteveW. I'm just applying for my kerb to be dropped but our local council will only let me use their workmen and they're going to charge me �£380! :mad: When I protested I was told that if I got any other builders to undertake the work both they and I would be breaking the law!

[ 14. June 2005, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: michaelmasdaisy ]

7. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Derby county council quote around 1000.00 !!

they are happy for others to do it but they must have at least 6 million public liability insurance and they have to verify after that it is up to standard.....380 seems a bargain in this area [​IMG]

8. cathysue

cathysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Have to agree with SteveW, �£380 for the kerb dropping seems like a bargain.

Good Luck everyone
    :D

9. alan

alan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my misses works for leicester highways they charge around 800 quid but they do allow contractors to do the work if they have the required cover