1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Drowned my water lilly plant in pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Elina, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Elina

Elina Gardener

Part time CEO, full time house manager/maid x Mum
    Ratings:
    +44
    In order to move the plant a bit further from the premises i pushed it in deeper water now its drowned..is it going to die?:cry3: im trying hard to get it out but i just divided the plant and now one part is floating in a corner:gaah:... in how many days i should replant the floating chunk and get the real mature lilly plant out?:what:
    14981606924111814705516.jpg 14981607827201809030057.jpg

I just checked the grass floating chunk formed new roots as well as leaves in this 1 month period n looks healthy though...

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,016
    Sorry dont understand the question.:smile:
    Water lilies are usually planted in soil and placed at the bottom of the pond, but there are exceptions.
    The "grass" appears to be some kind of Iris maybe, just guessing, but that also needs to be planted in a crate as a marginal plant, in shallow water.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Elina

Elina Gardener

Ratings:
      +44
      Well i got the pond with house so im naive in pond keeping n more over i dont know where the water is deep or shallow .... so the pot planted lilly plant was in shallow water n it was really close to one side n the fish were playing around it and com8ng up the water i thought its not safe for them to be on the edge of the pond so i tried to move the plant a bit further in the pond and the pot just fell in deep water now i cant see its leaves floating over the water.... i hope this reply had cleared tje situation now.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      "Cultivation notes

Choosing waterlilies to buy
      • Look for a healthy crown and make certain that there is no damage to the buds or leaves
      • Ensure the nursery display tanks are not weed-infested as you could transmit problems to your pond
      • Waterlilies vary widely in vigour. Make sure the ultimate plant size is suited to the pond and depth of water available
      • Small cultivars can be accommodated in large ponds by using bricks to raise them up to the correct level but overly vigorous plants may take over smaller ponds
      Planting waterlilies
      To grow successfully they need calm, still water away from disturbance by waterfalls, fountains or pumps. They are best planted between late spring and late summer in an open position with full sun.

• Waterlilies are best grown in aquatic baskets. Choose a suitable size for the plant’s vigour
      • Line the basket with hessian and fill with loamy soil or aquatic plant compost, planting the crown at soil level
      • Trim back any long roots and cut off old or damaged leaves and flower buds
      • Water well before placing in the pond, then submerge the plant so that 15-25cm (6-10in) of water covers the crown and young leaves float on the surface
      • To ensure the correct depth place the basket on bricks or other raised platform. In a new pond the basket may be positioned on the bottom before the pond is filled
      • As plants grow, gradually lower the container in stages until it finally rests on the bottom of the pond
      • Tropical waterlilies can be planted at their permanent depth immediately as they grow quickly
      Feeding
      Waterlilies are heavy feeders and benefit from a proprietary aquatic slow release fertilizer added into the compost or soil during the growing season, following the manufacturer’s instructions.

Maintenance
      Flowers last three or four days and should be cut off below the water line along with any old leaves before they sink and rot."

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Pop Alexandra

Pop Alexandra Apprentice Gardener

Engineer
        Ratings:
        +12
        Any news? Did the plant recover?

• Elina

Elina Gardener

Ratings:
        +44
        Sorry for late reply, was sick :( , the plant is still submerged but a few leaves are floating on surface, so i hope its fine. :)

• Like Like x 1