Drying/Preseving Herbs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,816
    As it is that time of year when things will start to die back or get nipped by the frost, I need to get my finger out and work out what I am going to do to preserve the herbs that I have in the garden, and also what I need to do (if anything) about over wintering or to have things come back in the spring.

I have a dehydrator, a vacuum sealer and am no stranger to pickling - freezing isn't currently an option, as the freezer is full.

So, your advice please ladies and gents, on the following:

Parsley (flat leaf) - dehydrate/dry - sow fresh seed in spring

Thyme - I have this dried already, so no need for more, but does the plant overwinter?

Rosemary - same as thyme

Sage (purple) - how well does this dehydrate? Is it a sow fresh thing next year?

Lemon verbena - not a clue

Lemongrass - not a clue

Horseradish - not a clue

Mint - maybe dehydrate, but not sure. Assume it comes back next year.

Oregano - as per thyme/rosemary

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi FC,

Can only comment on a couple of herbs.

Rosemary, I pick it any time of the year, never though about drying it, it tends to be easy to take cuttings so you have more younger plants coming on as larger ones can get a bit woody.

Mint, dies back over winter and always comes again, in good soil it will creep all over the place so keep the roots contained in some large pot or similar.
    They often say put mint leaves into ice cubes rather than drying them, it preserves the flavour better.

Thyme, needs careful trimming back to avoid a woody mass, and here up north find many do not overwinter well for us.

Parsley, seed sowing/germination can be difficult for some, find it easier to buy the £1 growing punnets from the supermarkets and split them up and plant out.
    Do that with other herbs like Basil and Mints etc

• Like Like x 1