Ducks in garden

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by Russel Sprout, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Russel Sprout

Russel Sprout Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have 2 small ducks and since having them I havent seen a slug or snail in 2 years. :gnthb:
    My question concerns the water I frequently pump out of their pond. They poop alot in it.
    Has anyone tried using this water to feed plants , or would it be to strong and kill plants, Im on a water meter so it would be good if I didnt have to throw it down the drain.

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Probably too strong and ammoniac (is that a word?) if fresh, but then again if it's been lurking and mixing with water, then I don't know...

Could you sieve and store it for a while - I know chicken droppings break down quite quicklt, especially when mixed with the hemp based bedding?

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,257
    Hi Russel Sprout I use my Fish pond water on my Flowers/Shrubs,,so I would think that it should be OK,But I wouldn't use it on anything That I had to eat(Vegetables)but I would wait until one of our other friends who maybe know more about this subject can answer your question,ie Nitrogen content etc:)

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Be careful if you are emptying the duck pond water down the storm drain - this is only meant for rainwater and the like. You need to use the waste drain, that takes proper sewage so it will be treated accordingly.

5. Russel Sprout

Ratings:
    +0
    My rainwater gulleys lead to the same manhole as sewage

6. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have used the occasional watering can full from our duck pond on the garden. I have used it on anything other than root veges - last year i used it in the greenhouse for tomatoe plants, cucumbers and peppers - as that's what was growing in the greenhouse up back where the duck pond is. To be honest, I never thought about the nitrogen level in it :oops: but can't say I had any problems. I've eaten the vege and am still here........

7. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Don't for goodness sake waste it. It will be nitrogen rich and great for feeding leafy veg.

8. Russel Sprout

Ratings:
    +0
    Great, thats what I was hoping for. Guess I'll have to experiment a bit to find a strength that doesnt overwhelm my plants. Thanks all.