1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dunkirk Remembered 70yrs on..!! A Thank you from me..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Marley Farley, May 27, 2010.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :) I have found listening to survivors of this rescue today most enlightening for some reason.. I have only seen snippets on the Internet, but it seems as though suddenly I can now understand my uncles.. !! :dh:
    I lost one relative at Dunkirk & 2 uncles made it back... They never talked about it much when asked would always just say.. "I did my bit but it was a defeat"... Now today I think perhaps for the first time I understand it more now than I ever did... No sure if this is age or what............
    They did as they were told to the letter.... As our guys do today I know..!! Never even considered any other way..

Winston Churchill made many mistakes in his life, but to me he always has & will be, the only person who could have/ & did get us through all that sheer hell..
    Now I feel it is my turn to respect & honour all those WW2 Veterans, people who I have always known what they they did & why in a different way............ Now I feel that spirit of pride in ones country & of "pulling together" is almost lost forever... s00kOh no have I finally grown old..???:flag:

:old: So my thanks to all gave up their lives or served through those years to make it a better world for us all..!!!! :gnthb:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8707657.stm

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    I whole heartedly agree Marley. We owe a great debt to those who were part of it and who eventually turned defeat into Victory. I hope the natives of this great country never forget!

3. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: My sentiments exactly Pal.. :thumb:

4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I always take an interest in this as my dad was a regular in 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards.
    He was with the British Expeditionary Force in France and was evacuated from Dunkirk.
    His most significant memory from that time was he said; "As I looked along the beach, it appeared black, it was the discarded rifles.
    He went on to serve in the North African Campaign, as part of the "Eight Army" at Tubruk and El Alamein and later up through Italy. Got through the lot without a scratch.

My mother privately told me that before the war when he was on sentry duty outside Buck House, she did on a few occasions, as did other wives their husbands on very hot days, creep up and wipe his face with a cold wet flannel!

He'd only tell me the amusing things about the war.
    In the mess before embarcation to France in 1939, one of the new officers asked him; "Does one take ones sword to France?"

He kindly said, "Let's hope we don't get that desperate!"

Each year he got tickets for Trooping of the Colour and he and my mum always attended the garden party in the grounds of the palace held by the Queen for his regiment, for which she was Colonel-in-Chief. All "Old-Comrades" were invited. This went on until well into the eighties, until his death.

His favourite TV programmes were "Dad's Army" and "Allo!' allo!'"

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    The country's back was well against the wall in those days, makes todays problems seem very trivial.

6. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Remember my father telling me some Hair Raising stories ,when he was sailing in the Russian Convoys to Arkhangelsk in Russia. one story i remember they were struck by a torpedo and had to close one of the watertight steel doors and he could hear men,s shouts from the other side of the door , the one,s who could not get out in time for the doors closing. music.

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    Some of our relatives have some amazing stories to tell us, but living it for them must have been something else.. People from those times don't say allot & when we find out what some of them went through it is very harrowing.. Yet after the war they were expected to get on with their lives if it didn't happen... Life is not kind or idyllic although we might like to think so at times..

8. AirAssisted

AirAssisted Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Everything we have, we owe to these people.

9. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Bombs bounchng across Manston airfield and not exploding because the aircraft that dropped them was to low.
    Thats just one tale from my dad.
    That must have been scarry.
    Thank dad and all the other dads, and mums, who did their bit..

10. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    We have a lot to thank them for.

My father was also at Dunkirk and had a terrible experience. Being a strong swimmer he swam off the beach and reached the destroyer HMS Wakeful on May 29th. This ship was almost full, with 640 soldiers aboard. Dad was asleep, exhausted at 11.30pm as the ship slipped out of the bay under cover of darkness. Unfortunately a German E-boat was waiting for them around and hit with 2 torpedoes at point blank range. The Wakeful sank within 15seconds. Somehow Dad escaped, after initially being trapped by one leg, as he climbed the ladder out of the hold one of the soldiers stood on his face, he said “sorry mate”, Dad bore a red boot mark on his face for a very long time. Of the 640 soldiers in the hold it was reported that only one survived, Jim Kane. 25 Ships crew did survive this sinking, including the captain, they were lucky enough to have lifejackets. By a terrible coincidence my Dad's childhood friend was a stoker on board and went down in the ship.

After many hours in the sea Dad got picked up by another Destroyer, this was HMS Grafton. It was firing its guns and he could see it was lowering a whaler boat over the side, which eventually picked him up. Before they could get back to the Grafton, it too was hit by torpedoes and had to be abandoned, in the confusion our ships fired on each other, and killed many of our own men in a whaler next to Dad's. My Dad eventually mad it to home on a requisitioned Channel Ferry.

On that day 47,400 men were rescued from the beaches of Dunkirk by the boats of the evacuation fleet.

My Father went on to fight with the Desert Rats in North Africa and was captured when the Tobruk garrison surrendered in 1942 and he spent the rest of the war in Italian and German POW camps.

Unfortunately Dad died a couple of months ago, I know he would have taken a keen interest in the 70th anniversary.

Just a few years ago divers had to move the wreck of the torpedoed destroyer and he was invited to Portsmouth to view the salvaged nameplate, http://www.culture24.org.uk/places+to+go/yorkshire/art22986

11. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    If I might digress for a moment, my Grandad was in France in WWI, he was 17 years old - this I knew. Not until I began researching our family history however, did I discover he'd received 3 bullet wounds and had to wait several hours to be evacuated to a field hospital through a combination of gas attacks and because no-one could be spared to carry the wounded. One bullet was never removed, the other two caused him to lose one lung and one kidney, the gas permanently damaged his eyesight, left him with ulcerated legs for the rest of his life and (so we were told), possibly caused him to contract leukemia when he was older. And when I asked him once about the war all he said was 'It wasn't very nice'.

12. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,807
    Yes we can never thank them enough.He never spoke about it at all,and when I discovered some medals and Salvage papers in a box one day he said put it back where you found it.

(Malta and Atlantic Convoys)

My dad served on the HMS Penn,I still have a little silver cross which a lady gave him when he stepped ashore.

[align=center]
    Malta Convoy
    [/align]

Despite continuing attacks, the Royal Navy destroyers HMS Ledbury and HMS Penn managed to lash the disabled tanker between them. Then with the help of the destroyer HMS Bramham and the minesweeper HMS Rye the crippled tanker was taken in tow for Malta. Ohio, her precious cargo and her Royal Navy rescuers arrived triumphantly at Valletta on the afternoon of August 15th.