1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dwarf french bean. Problem?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Peter Sullivan, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Peter Sullivan

Peter Sullivan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    I know it's a bit early for DFB's, but I thought I'd try some seeds in my little home made heated growhouse. They sprang up lovely but over the last couple of days some of the leaves have curled a little as per the photo taken just now. Any ideas whether I've over watered, under watered or they've caught a chill? The thermometer is saying 40c but that is because the sun is shining on the glass dial. I always lift the lid when the temp is up and the air temp was actually 21c at the time of this photo as measured by a thermometer in the shade at the back of the growhouse. According to my wifi sensors transmitting to a display in the house, typical day/night max and mins go from 25c to 15c although I did have a low of 9c the other night when it turned frosty and have since turned up the thermostat on the 3ft 180watt tube heater. Any advice please.
    20200414_143655.jpg

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Wind maybe? The leaves look like they have dried out. Those young plants will be very tender ...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Yes, looks like they have dried out or simply sun scorch, in these very sunny days you may need to put some shading up, anything will do from newspaper to proper shading material.

All the compost looks very dry in there, also if you water /spay/mist when sunny , ensure you do not get any water on those tender leaves as the sun will burn them.

The ferns looks as though they are turning red which can be a sign its too bright for them, normally a shade plant.

• Like Like x 2
      • Peter Sullivan

Ratings:
        +20
        Marvellous thank you. I can soon remedy that with some shade. The sun does seem to have been very intense and there's been a lot of it for this time of year. So much so that I have a sun tan from working and sitting in the garden :) In the growhouse they seem to be well sheltered from wind even with the lid up, and I haven't noticed much more than a light breeze in the last few days. I have sprayed the compost with water and have tried to avoid the leaves, but possibly not careful enough. The pots are in a tray with some capillary matting which I keep wet.
        Thanks very much for the advice, I will try and save them from scorching.:dbgrtmb:

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        Hi,

Think you might have shown us the real problem.

Cap matting is effective, but to be at its best the plants roots need to be down deep into the pot to really access that water, with your young seedling etc that will not be as effective.

The left hand pot looks as if it has its own saucer ? so not sure how it could use the cap matting ?

You really need to generously water with a small hand watering can or bottle from the top of the soil / pots as things do look very dry.

In the hot weather forecast for the next two days you need to water at least one a day from the top, do try that, with a little shading, think you will find the beans take off !

You might need to stake them if they grow too tall, but try and keep them in there until all the frosts have gone as they will be knocked back or killed.

• Like Like x 1
        • Peter Sullivan

Ratings:
          +20
          Thanks @ricky101
          You are very observant, and correct that the left hand pot just has it's own saucer and no capillary matting.
          I will follow your advice and get them sorted.
          Loving this forum for the friendly advice I'm receiving as a very inexperienced newbie getting interested in a new hobby. Thanks for all your info, I'm taking it all in, and learning as I go along. :blue thumb:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          I've never had a problem with capillary matting (seedlings or otherwise), provided the compost in the containers remains moist it will lift the water into the compost. But ... lots of capillary matting sold is so thin it is all but useless, and pots need to be in good contact. And if the matting dries out it won't work, the containers will dry and getting it going again isn't straightforward as it needs moisture everywhere to work. Best bed in that situation is to water from the top, and then use the capillary matting to share any excess, and then also water the capillary matting (without any particular care) to make sure it has a decent reservoir.

But I've gone off capillary matting having used it for years because it is too difficult to control the amount of water, everything gets the same flow rate, and often that is too much, and it doesn't work for large containers. My preference now is for flood-and-drain. Flood the tray the plants are in for a few minutes, and then let it drain. Organise the plants in trays so that all in the same tray need the same frequency. So recently potted on may only need every other day, whereas something that is close to being potted on might even need twice a day

For small numbers of pots just put them in a tray of water for a few minutes and then take them out again.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,361
          I agree with all of the above but would suggest that you take the plants out of the grow frame during the warm days and put them back in at night. The pot that has the worst damage could be suffering from burn as it's closer to the glass.

I germinate my beans with bottom heat (heated propagator in greenhouse) but once they have germinated and formed two leaves they are then put into the main part of the greenhouse overnight and put in a warm sunny sheltered spot during these hot days. for us, that is against the wall of the house but still in the sun. Putting them out would depend on where in the country you live. Where we are it has been very hot during the days (no significant rain for over two months) but cold at night.

Beans don't like the weather too hot, particularly when they're young, although they germinate better with some heat.

On a related matter. Runner beans do not produce as good a crop if they are in too bright sunshine when the weather is hot. So if you happen to be growing a number of plants and planting them in a row it is better to have the row in a north/south orientation - so most of the plants are facing east and west. Otherwise you can get a lower crop. French beans are also susceptible but not as greatly.