1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dwarf root-stock pear tree has never produced flowers let alone fruit

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by karaman, Jun 23, 2021.

1. karaman

karaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    hallo everyone,

dwarf rootstock pear tree by a sunny wall bought three years ago in a pot with the bestest soil i could give it has produced zero flowers, lots of leaves -- seems to have what i take to be fruiting spurs but zero produce --- fed up with mollycoddling the thing, i've spoken to it and threatened to chuck it if it doesnt perform next year --

what am i doing wrong? cherry, medlar bought same year are going like the clappers

pics below -- thanks, i'll try any suggestion, cheers, karaman

Attached Files:

2. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +44,604
    It might take a few more years to fruit, some are like that and it probably needs a larger pot but only go 1 size up.

3. karaman

karaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    thank you logan, willco and another question: should i prune it back to its fruiting spurs or just let it grow? - karaman

• Like Like x 1
    • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +44,604
      Your welcome.:)
      I don't know about the pruning bit, perhaps someone else will.

• Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
      Ratings:
      +1,136
      Agreed, some plants just need some time and a bigger pot never hurts. It also depends on the conditions wether it will bloom or not. Especially warm springs and late frosts can kill any chances for a good harvest since either the buds will die or there aren't enough bees yet to pollinate.

Regarding your question for pruning, I suggest you prune all shoots that grow inwards or directly upwards (aside from the center one). Also remove shoots that cross each other and may start grinding the bark away.

Other than that, it looks like a healthy young tree. Give it a little more time

• Like Like x 1
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,321
        as the saying goes ... "plant pears for your heirs" ....... looks healthy .. what you feeding regime ? .. as if it has too much nitrogen you will end up with just leaves ...

• Agree Agree x 1