1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dying Geraniums

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Belto, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Belto

Belto Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I bought these Geraniums from Morrisons, they were beautiful with no problems.
    I put them in My Polytunnel they were deteriorating, I thought they were too cold (Temp dropped to 5 - 8 degrees C.
    I repotted them and removed the affected leaves, put them in my greenhouse where I thought they would be warmer but as you can see they are still deteriorating.
    I am lost and looking for suggestions on what the problem could be.

20190408_112100.jpg Poorly Geraniums.jpg

2. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi @Belto ,
    Is your greenhouse heated?

The thing to remember is Pelargoniums have to be kept at around 5 deg or higher including nights . If they're established plants ( I don't think yours are they look like this years seedlings ) then they will tolerate freezing temps as long as they're kept bone dry.

Can you not move them onto a windowsill indoors? The plants themselves look to have good growing points on them, it's just the larger leaves dying off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Belto, a combination of sudden colder temps and I wonder if you over watered too??
      Resist watering, carefully remove affected leaves and avoid over fussing them.
      As long as they don’t rot off I think they will be fine, eventually :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,694
        I agree, lots of plants are forced in absolute perfect growing conditions, they then get put in draughty shop fronts with no hardening off.
        Pelargoniums (geraniums) are one of those plants that are likely to spring back once things warm up properly.

Just dont overwater.:smile: