1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dying Photinia Red Robin?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Sandpiper, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Sandpiper

Sandpiper Apprentice Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a large standard Photinia Red Robin which is approximately 15 feet high - in essence a small tree. It didn't do particularly well last year, but this year it appears to be dying. The leaves are hanging limply, have gone crisp and they are more brown than green. It looks awful. There is another smaller one close by which is doing brilliantly and has lots of shiny green and red leaves, as it should. In comparison, the tree is dreadful. There do appear to be growth tips but I'm not sure if they are still growing or not.

I'm desperate to save it - any ideas please?

Thank you

2. Tracy_x

Tracy_x Gardener

Ratings:
    +405
    I don't have knowledge about that, but if you upload a photo, others will give you ideas:spinning:

3. Gwen austin

Gwen austin Gardener

Tea technician
    Ratings:
    +238
    Your question is difficult to answer without more information. Tracy is correct that a photo will help. One issue may be if you have clay soil as they hate clay. Have you ever pruned? Is there other plants nearby in competition with it for nutrients etc? If it was simple leaf drop it could be the damp weather. Give us some more details and pictures too.

4. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Snap Sandpiper, We had a large Photinia Red Robin here when we moved to my current home. It was about the same size as yours. After a couple of years I noticed many of the leaves had spots on them and the whole tree looked pretty sick. I decided to hard prune it to see if things improved, also gave it a hefty dose of manure. They did for a while and the shrub responded quite well to pruning. Then we had a humdinger of a winter and it never really recovered. Photinia isn't the hardiest. I decided that the shrub really wasn't worth the space it was taking up and dug it out. It could be that yours like mine was very old? and passed it's sell by date. The brown leaves will have been caused by cold weather I expect. It will drop these and should the produce new ones It may respond as mine did to being hard pruned and being fed but I would n't be too hopeful. Sorry not to be more positive. I'm not unconvinced that the breeders have slightly altered the shrub as I see lots around here which seem to withstand the cold much better than in the past. I seldom see any old shrubs, maybe they just aren't that long lived?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  5. Sandpiper

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope this photo can assist with diagnosis! I'll post a close up too. Thanks

Attached Files:

6. Sandpiper

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +0
    This shows the leaves close up. I'm fearing the worst now as no signs of new shoots.

Attached Files:

7. Sandpiper

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gwen - I've posted a couple of photos. The soil is clay but it's patchy and we think professionally planted out initially as there are pockets of sand surrounding the shrubs etc. The whole area has the same soil and there are lots of Photinias in neighbours' gardens which are thriving and I have another one which is really lush at the moment. It has been pruned a little about 2 years ago, but not radically, just to keep the shape. It hasn't really competition from other shrubs, but has a massive mature tree just 7 metres away and lies in its shadow to some extent. Thanks

8. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,657
    It's knackered - chop it and dig it out and replace with another or preferably something else (sorry!)

9. Sandpiper

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I'd leave the trunk as a stake for the next one! :)

10. Loofah

Ratings:
    +21,657
    But whatever killed the first may be a pathogen and kill the next... You never know sometimes :th scifD36:

11. Sandpiper

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will be a different plant altogether - so fingers crossed :)

12. Loofah

Ratings:
    +21,657
  13. Bill Carr

Bill Carr Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Did this tree ever recover?

I have a very similar situation, one has died, 2 more going the same way.

How long had yours been planted for out of interest, and had it always struggled?

14. mingzafer

mingzafer Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm fearing the worst now as no signs of new shoots.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019