1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dying self-seeded baby climbing roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Shyamalie Satkunanandan, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Shyamalie Satkunanandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Hi all,

I was given two very young climbing roses last Sunday that had self-seeded in a large planter. (No idea about the parent rose, it might be a rambler instead of a climbing rose, no idea about type.) I dug them out keeping almost all of the roots intact. They were very healthy and green looking. The person who gave them to me said they had doubled in size in the previous two weeks.

Along with the original container contents (old compost which once had a dead acer tree in) I transfered them to two separate pots with temporary trellis. I was going to move them to their permanent home in about 2-3weeks.

But now a number of branches are turning yellow or outright wilting and dead. (See photos, they don't show just how yellow the leaves have gotten.) And neither has grown.
    I'm not sure what to do. They're in a Sunlight morning spot and shaded for the rest of the day.

Can anyone help with some advice?

Also can you tell if it's a climber or rambler?One look like a rambler (with one main branch) but the other looks like a climber.

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    If the roots have been disturbed you need to expect some die back.
    Might have been better to have left them alone until the autumn.
    You could try pruning them back, so the roots are not struggling with so much top growth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Shyamalie Satkunanandan Gardener

Ratings:
      +28
      Okay, thanks Pete, I'll try pruning them back.