1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

E. Gunnii pruning?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Eva Green, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Eva Green

Eva Green Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I received a eucalyptus tree as an engagement present. Would it be ok to prune the branches that currently sit below the height of the garden fence this time of year? I’m also worried about how much it moves in the wind - the weather being particularly awful of late - so it might be time to invest in a second stake?

Any general advice with this tree would be welcome

Attached Files:

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

Small Eucalyptus plants are popular because their early foliage looks very attarctive, but they soon loose them as they grow.

You could just take off the top third to reduce any chance of wind damage, though they are quiet supple plants and the base looks well staked.

If you repeatedly prune them to keep them small with their attactive young leaves they can be contained, but let them free and you are looking at a real garden thug.

Wiki - Eucalyptus gunnii is a tree that typically grows to a height of 25 m (82 ft)

Having seen other folk plant them and ending up with giant trees in their gardens we would say bin it now and save yourself a lot of problems; also the neighbours might not appreciate a massive tree in their garden as yours so close to the fence its bound to overhang their side and push on that fence.

Perhaps it could be snapped off during the storm and never recovered , would be a good line ?

Sorry if its not what you wanted to hear, partic as it was a engagement present, but its our honest view of a what we have seen as a problematic plant many times, though others may disagree..

ps - forgot to say, they are often planted in wet areas of garden as they eagerly drink up lots of water, so your surrounding plants will likely suffer.

• Like Like x 2
      Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    • Eva Green

Ratings:
      +5
      Hi Ricky

Thanks for the response

There isn't actually a garden the other side of the fence, it's just a small road that leads to a dead end, so I can't envisage much of an issue there

I do like the tree, although it wasn't actually my choice - we went and purchased the tree but were reimbursed (hence the gift). I would like to see the tree grow, and even if this at the expense of the adjacent plants then maybe so bet it (although I am sure through watering they will survive?)

If we assume that we are going to keep the tree, which I am 99% certain we will because my fiance loves it, and I do like it, then what would be the best course of action for ensuring it is healthy? I think I will prune all of the branches beneath the fence line and keep them short, but any other advice is welcome.

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        Hi,

We currently have such a tree near us and its current owners just got in some cowboys to cut it back, it looks a right 12ft high mess as they had really just hacked it off flat.

If you have a shape in mind ? then unless someone else comes in to advise you, do a web search to hopefully find some ytube or similar showing what shapes you can achive and how and when best to prune it.

Eucalyptus: pruning / RHS Gardening

At the moment you just have the main leader intent on growing as fast and high as it can, so you need to cut that down to under the height you finally want.
        That will encourtage side shoots which will bear the young attractive leaves.
        However you will then have to regularly cut back those side shoots once they start grown up quickly.

hth

• Eva Green

Ratings:
        +5
        Ideally we would like it to get a bit taller than it is now. How much I'm not sure. I think a bit of a conical shape beginning above the fence line would be ideal. I guess we will just have to see how it goes, but I am going to cut back the side shoots that are underneath the fence line this weekend and keep an eye on them

Thanks for your help

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,628
        I've got one, and they are a labour of love each year, if you intend keeping it under control.

Decide on how high you want it to get.

I've got my main stem at around 6ft, I then cut back each year, to that mainstem, the shoots that formed the previous year.
        But it still makes 6 to 8 ft each year, so you mustn't let it get away from you.

Never found them to be greedy regarding water, they do come from fairly arid places, or atleast are able to cope with drought.

Stability is a big problem as they grow so fast, so cutting back when young and allowing a good root system to get going helps for later years.

Personally, with yours, I'd do the opposite to what you are proposing, and cut off the part above the fence, reasoning being it will very quickly regrow from there, assuming you dont want a full sized tree.
        Even if you do, a hard cutback would help with stability, another stake wont.;):)

• Eva Green

Ratings:
        +5
        Hi Pete. Thanks for the response.

I think you’re probably right. I do want a big tree but until the roots are established and the trunk a bit thicker then I’ll cut it back to fence height. Any particular way or just cut at an angle?

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,628
        Just cut cleanly, as it is so windy and mild I think its best done now, but I usually cut back in April after the threat of hard frost has gone and the tree is just getting going.

Eucalyptus never really goes dormant, or forms resting buds, so best left alone when hard frost is around.

I love big gum trees but most urban areas are too overcrowded for them.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
        • Eva Green

Ratings:
          +5
          I am thinking of cutting at the weekend. I think it’s mild enough now to be ok.

I will cut to a 6 ft height, which will just leave the stem, no side shoots.

How soon will this begin to regenerate? And will this just follow the same path ie height wise as the area I’ve just removed?

• pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,628
          Well they usually start to move around April/May, depending on weather.
          You can then around july select any strong shoots to form whatever shape you want, I should add they mostly do their own thing and don't take kindly to clipping or fiddling around with, its not like other trees.

As I say, I prune back to the 6 ft stem each year, missed last year due to back problems so it kind of got away from me, got some 12ft lengths off it already this winter and will be cutting back further before April.

Onwards and upwards is the usual form of growth, bushing out only happens on very large trees.

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,628
            Should add, your appears to have passed the juvenile stage, so although it might put out a few juvenile leaves after cutting back they will probably revert to adult foliage pretty quickly.

• Like Like x 1
            • Eva Green

Ratings:
              +5
              That’s really helpful Pete, thank you. I am going to cut this weekend. Onwards and upwards as you say

• Like Like x 1
              • pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,628
                It seems harsh, but in my experience they bounce back pretty fast.

• Eva Green

Ratings:
                +5
                The Mrs wasn’t too keen when I explained to her (despite my name on here, I’m a guy!) but she is coming round to the idea now thanks to you lol

• Funny Funny x 1
                • pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +85,628
                  Just put male in your profile and we will all know , lol.;):biggrin: