1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Eaten Clematis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by holme1, Sep 24, 2005.

1. holme1

holme1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have a new clematis planted last year. It is just starting to flower but something appears to be eating the flowers and some of the leaves! I can't see any bugs on it but it looks like nibble marks to me! Anyone any ideas?

Regards, Sharon

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Snails? They're what saw off my young clems this summer!

3. holme1

holme1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wondered about snails because they are having a beano on the Dianthus I have just put out in pots. The Clematis flowers are 6ft up on an arch. Do snails go that high? Or is that a very naive question?

4. Frangipani

Frangipani Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunatley yes.. they love the new leaves on my clematis.. they've ruined it.. I think I'm going to have to start again as I think I didn't get rid of all the horrible white oogie things that ate the roots last time.. all the bottom leaves have died.. Silly me, should have sorted it out better! D'oh!

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Since I recently spotted a snail crossing my bedroom window (on the outside) yes, I guess they do go that high (unless a bird had dropped it and it was lost!)