1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

ebay poly leaking on seam

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by Safronsue, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Safronsue

Safronsue Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    oh dear, a little bit of drizzle and my newly put up tunnel has little drips falling from the centre seam. Am I just unlucky or is this a regular phenomenon? I'm thinking the solution is adding a centre pole to lift the cover so water doesn't pool, but the cover is on pretty tight. or so i thought.

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,697
    It is a factor of these cheap tunnels, you will also get condensation too. Are you sure it is the seam and not just condensation from the metal tubes? If it is the seem go back to the seller and complain, demand a replacement cover.

The cover will eventually degrade and the little plastic pieces between the cross weave can start to fall out. I had one that only managed a year before this happened and others that lasted much longer. I think it depends on the batch that your cover came from, some seem excellent others are poor.

The good thing though is that you have a very good frame, correctly setup and anchored so if/when your cover does go, you can buy "real" polytunnel plastic and put it straight on with minimal effort for a much much better end result.

To deal with collections of condensation before walking into the tunnel I just bang on the door frame a couple of times with a closed hand to shake the excess off the inside of the cover, or ventilate better beforehand.

Steve...:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,122
      Well it shouldn’t be leaking, but they do make a lot of condensation are you sure it isn’t that which is dripping?