1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

EddieJ

Discussion in 'Gardeners Corner Question Time' started by EddieJ, Jun 22, 2011.

1. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    1. How did you come to join Gardeners Corner?

Recommendation from someone on 'TheRevCounter' forum

2. Name the countries or counties you have lived in?

Sussex

3. Describe the type of work you do?

I have been self employed since the beginning of 1988, owned a successful landscaping company for a while before becoming bored of it, trained as a JCB 3CX operator, and operated these and mini diggers for several years before becoming once again bored. I have been a groundworker, and for te last ten years a Green Oak timber framer. Prior to being self employed, I was an overhead power linesman. I have always needed a constant and new challenge, and generally find work an inconvenience to life!

4. Describe how you first got into gardening?

Through my first job upon leaving school. I worked for a forestry and landscape company.

5. What would be your dream type of garden and do you think you will ever be able to achieve it?

I came close to having my dream garden at our last house, but the new garden has opened up a whole new challenge to me, so presently it suits me quite nicely.

Part of the old garden showing the first frame that I made.

[​IMG]

Part of the new garden which is approx two years away from completion. Given that I work alone, I haven't done so bad considering that this was a wilderness and have completed this and other aspects of the garden in pretty much less than two years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Have you any particular favourites in celebrity gardeners, flowers, shrubs and/or vegetables?

There is only one designer/garden celebrity worth mentioning.... Diarmuid Gavin. I put him firmly at the top of list.

7. Have you ever entered any of your plants into shows?

Not quite....

I was part of a design construction team which won a Bali award, and I also had work featured in te Times and Telegraph

8. If you had a garden created in your memory, what plants do you think would most adequately sum up you and your life?

None, gardens are about life not death, and as I want to just be chucked over the side of a cross channel ferry with no service, a garden would be a complete waste.

• Like Like x 8
    • kyleleonard

kyleleonard Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +950
      Your garden's gorgeous.

• Like Like x 1
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,686
        I completely agree with Kyle ... and how could you leave that beautiful frame you made ... I would cry to have to leave such behind ... :cry3:

• Like Like x 1
        • EddieJ

Oak timber framer
          Ratings:
          +1,089
          Thanks for the kind words :)

For some reason I don't have many photos of the old garden. I took individual photos of the 70 odd varieties of shrubs and flowers, but only two of the garden!

I did love the garden, but it was sadly a case of having to move.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
          • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
            Ratings:
            +14,125
            Looking good Eddie, looking good..!! I remember when you joined us, you were still clearing the area by the road & your veg garden.. Your veg garden looks fantastic & you can hardly see the water tanks at all.! :hapfeet:
            Have you built another frame for this garden yet. :scratch: I seem to remember you talking about one & an oven built into it as well.. Sorry if I have that wrong.. :scratch:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Well, what can I say, fantastic Eddie, thanks for sharing.

• Marley Farley

Ratings:
            +14,125

Just beautiful.. So peaceful looking.. Deep thought was involved there I think.. I hope you achieve your dream again at this new place.. :dbgrtmb:

• EddieJ

Oak timber framer
            Ratings:
            +1,089

Thanks again for the kind words.

Sadly the veg plot hasn't gone to well this year. We managed to collect only a 1000 litres of before the dry spell hit, and it didn't take long to use it up. Because we have been buying shrubs for presents etc, the water was used to keep them going rather than the veg. I had to make a decision over which was more important, and the rhododendrons and azaleas won. Incredibly when the rain did start again a week or so ago, we collected a full 6000litres of water in just two days!!

As for frames at the new place (my mum-in-laws) I built a garage before work really got underway to teh property in April 2008. Then in 2009, I built another gazebo. I still want to build a brick built pizza/bread oven to the side of te gazebo, and an outside loo to the side of the garage. Money and health are preventing both. My joints are getting worse by the day, and everything is currently a struggle.
            I will do it all though, and I have no idea of what is up with me, but I just can't sit still to rest. Even when relatives come to stay, I say hello, then have to get out and get on. I just can't cope without doing things, and feel like a very badly trapped animal. :(

I reckon that the dream will be even better. I want others to enjoy the garden, not just me. My aim is to get it open for public viewing and create as much interest and fun for children as I can. I also want all areas to be accessible to anyone who is disabled. Another key element is seating. I currently have 11 different places to sit enjoy the garden, and still want more!

For those who haven't seen the changes, this is just a few.
            Old garage.

[​IMG]

New garage built solely by me (and my daughter), other than the slate roof, which a friend kindly did for me. I can do it, but I am too slow.

[​IMG]

The new gazebo that I built.

[​IMG]

The front woodland garden as it was. Reference with my first photos can be made from the silver birch tree in the centre which I left as was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
            • Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
              Ratings:
              +1,667
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Smashing work Eddy, but on the health front, sounds like you might need a glucosamine or cod liver oil supplement before it gets any worse.

Get yourself to the docs asap, you'd hate it if you had to stop doing things. I know, i'm like that too, got to be doing something.

• Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
              +225
              Like you Eddie, I work outdoors and suffer with my joints. A few years ago a friend shook my hand firmly and it was painful for several days after. I started taking Glucosamine and have been doing so ever since. (I take G Hydrochloride as I'm a veggie). If my joints start getting sore - which my knees did recently - I double the dose for a while and that seems to do the trick. I thoroughly recommend it!

Also, love your new strutures and ventures.

Chris

• Marley Farley

Ratings:
              +14,125
              Eddy the Gazebo is great.. I just love the shape of it & I bet you have the garage walls neatly racked by now... :heehee: I remember those photos of the front... My you have done well mate.. As for your joints I would get on the Cod lover oil & the glauco tablets.. You are a workaholic in love with your work I think, & you sound just like my S in L, he cannot sit still always out doing something on his land.. With him it is back problems after breaking it twice..
              Let's hope your water system stays full now too.. Great to see, thanks so much for sharing your garden.. :hapfeet: