1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edge

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by wiseowl, Dec 18, 2019.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,847
    Good evening just an heads up:smile:

Microsoft plans to roll out Edge via a Windows Update on January 15. We’ve had a great time playing around with it since the Chromium version of the browser debuted in April, and we’ll probably have even more to say before its official release next month. But it’s also OK to not want another browser on your desktop or laptop—unfortunately, you don’t get much of a choice in the matter.

We think it’s important for you to decide what gets pushed onto your system. A Windows update is one thing; dumping an extra browser onto your system is another. And who knows how pushy Edge might be once it’s on your system. Will you have to go back and set your favorite browser as your default? Will you get annoying reminders that Edge offers a superior experience and you should really switch to it and please please give it a try maybe?

If you know that you aren’t going to use Edge at all when Microsoft auto-installs it onto your system, you can block Windows Update from doing that. It’s easy. Visit this Microsoft website and download the Blocker Toolkit. Run the executable, which will unpack a .CMD file (and two others) wherever you want. Then, open up an administrative Command Prompt (right-click when you search for it via the Start menu and select “Run as Administrator”), and navigate to the folder where that .CMD file lives.

Once there, run it by entering “EdgeChromium_Blocker.cmd” into the Command Prompt. You’ll then see which flags you can use to block and unblock the automatic installation. If you’d rather just skip right to that, then type “EdgeChromium_Blocker.cmd /b” to prevent Windows Update from installing Edge on your system, and use the “/u” flag if you want to reverse course.

It’s important to note that this doesn’t prevent you from installing Microsoft Edge if you want to play around with it. This only keeps Microsoft from installing it for you via Windows Update. You can still run Windows Update as normal to get all your latest system fixes and driver updates, you just won’t get Edge in January if you’ve set the flag to block the installation.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,374
      Goodness sounds baffling to me!! All I know is that I use Silk browser, I'll have to get hubs to read your post @wiseowl . Thanks for the update though.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,932
        Is this only as an update to Windows 10???

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,203
        Hi Woo,

Not really sure what the problem is as Microsoft have nearly always included a free browser with Windows, be it the new or old versions of Edge or Internet Explorer of old.

There did used to be a case for keeping / using IE, as years ago some sites would only work with IE but these days it not really a problem.

Again not sure, unless we have missed some point ? why anyone would be that bothered about removing it when you have all the other rubbish Microsoft downloads with Windows.

Just leave it be and use the browser of your choice, Chrome if you like everything being logged by Google or Firefox and similar if you prefer some degree of privacy ..

Think if Edge/Microsoft do start causing lots of such pop-ups when you do not wish to use it, there will be plenty of computer forums offering workarounds if MS do not desist.

• Like Like x 3
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,594
          I use Edge/Bing because my computer will not function properly with any of the others. It'll be interesting to see what the new browser has in store.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
            Ratings:
            +54,374
            Bing rings a bell ,think I also use that one too. All too confusing for me, hubs hasn't had time yet to read the post and explain it in simple language to me yet.

• Like Like x 1
            • glengarry23

glengarry23 Head Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +5,251
              I use 'Bing' from time to time as it was a facility given with one of my present Browsers ''Slimjet',..though anything related to Microsoft has to be curtailed as they load lots of stuff one either will not use or it slows down ones computer,..solution in part is to use the Free Program called O&O ShutUp 10,..it will block stuff you don't use which runs in the background,..like 'Cortona'.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,203
                That sounds very unusual, wonder what kind of problems you get as major browsers like Chrome and Firefox should run without any problem; even our 10+ year old laptop runs them ok.

For folk like us not heavily into PC technical stuff, there is a fortnightly magazine called Computer Active that aims to put things across in easy to follow detail.
                Stocked in most large supermarkets etc. just £2.30

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                  Ratings:
                  +89,847
                  Hi @ricky101 no problem just thought it would be useful to let all of our friends know that's all:smile:

• Like Like x 2
                  • Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,594
                    Firefox is a non starter and always has been on my now five year old laptop. When I first used Windows 10 Google was an issue so I switched to Edge/Bing. The problem with that is I can't load a full video onto the forum - just a link. A couple of other issues developed too. I switched to Google earlier in the year to give it another go, I've even tried it with Bing but it still creates problems, so recently I've gone back to Edge and cope with the minor issues I have. Oddly, talking about this, just minutes ago I put a video on GC and it fully opened without a link. :yes: Microsoft must have been pushing buttons behind the scenes. :biggrin:

That said technology of any kind is not my friend, I have problems using any of it, not my inability but the fact it tends to go haywire if I touch it. I won't touch self service tills for instance.

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +4,203
                      As well as a more modern desktop we have a laptop, at least 10 years old, but it still runs the current W10 ok along with Chrome and Firefox, but thats computers for you, what works on one never seems the same on another.

As for video problems, often thats due to not having the right Codecs installed, basically a little bit of conversion programming that allows certain video formats to run ok.
                      Trouble is we are not well enough up on them to say which ones you need, perhaps someone can suggest a link to download some safe ones ?

Again, perhaps the latest W10 update has added in the Codec you needed, either on your PC or maybe on the GC site ?

• Like Like x 1
                      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +52,594
                        I know very little about computers and what I do know is left to my son who takes over with Teamviewer. He doesn't know why I have the problems and more often than not they are unusual ones. Technology and me are just not compatible. I can only wear certain makes of watch too as they go berserk or stop working. :doh::)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
                      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                        Ratings:
                        +6,097
                        Take my hand. I'm a stranger in Microsoftland. Lost forever in a mystic boggle land.

Hey I've invented a new version of, Stranger in Paradise.

Many thanks Woo for bringing this to our notice. However. I am using Win 7 Home. and Firefox. and Felco secateurs. At the MO I get messages that windows update isn't working. OH GOODY GOODY GUMDROPS.

In all truthfulness. This old git can't understand all this techie stuff. Why can't we Brits download. an all Brit system?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                          Ratings:
                          +30,611
                          I've been using Edge on and off since Windows 10 came into play. Bing is not my first choice for perusing. I still "google" things. But I really dislike Google Chrome. It just doesn't allow easy preference setting.

Just my opinion. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
                          • Like Like x 1
                            Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
                          • glengarry23

glengarry23 Head Gardener

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +5,251
                            I have Microsoft Edge on one of my computers it does keep trying to become active though i will never allow it to do so,..i did look into it but found it lacked facilities i wanted.

Same applies to Microsoft Photo's,..it kept opening as i loaded images,..there was no way to uninstall it so i kept killing it through the 'Task Manager',..eventually it became dormant.

Microsoft blocked several programs because they were Chinese connected,..Baidu Browser,..Baidu Cleaner,..to mention just two,..there was nothing amiss with these programs except they were better than any of Microsoft or American software,..so they killed the competition.

My oldest Computer is Windows XP 2000 Service Pack 3,..it should have died off a few years ago,..knowing Microsoft would kill it off gradually i downloaded another version of Windows Explorer as i figured correctly this was the first to go,..its still working today though with Windows XP 2000 Service Pack 4,..which isn't from Microsoft its a Greek download,..so my Computer of the year 2000 is still going stronger than the two others i have which are one of 2009 and the other of 2017,..i must admit i TAMPER a lot and keep using new Free Software from 'Gizmo Free Software',..its fun and a challenge to have my computer running my way and not Microsoft way.

Philip

• Like Like x 1