1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Elderflower Champagne.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Marley Farley, May 29, 2006.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] I shall start the ball rolling then.. [​IMG]

:rolleyes: Well I know it is still early yet but this is such an easy one to do.. Now you are ready for when the flowers do come. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Elderflower Champagne

7 Large elderflower heads. Make sure you pick them on a sunny day when the scent is at it's strongest.
    2 lemons.
    566gms (1�¼ lbs) of granulated sugar.
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar.
    4.546 litres (1 gallon ) boiling water.

A large clean plastic bucket.

1.Place sugar into the plastic bucket and pour on the boiling water stir well until the sugar has completely dissolved.
    2. When the liquid is cold add flower heads, white wine vinegar and sliced lemons. Stir well and leave for 24 hours.
    3. After 24 hours strain through muslin and bottle.
    4. Make sure you use strong bottles and cork well. Tie or wire the corks down if you can. This is an extra fizzy drink the corks can pop off with some force and you will find liquid all over your storage area. ( A bit like ginger beer can�!!).

This drink does not keep for long but it is very refreshing on a hot summers day.!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Duly noted, Keeping an eye on a few Elder flower heads ;)

Nathan.

3. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Sounds like an excellent mixer [​IMG]

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :rolleyes: It is very light & fresh so I suppose you could Paladin... ;)

5. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have just made a batch of this and it's ready for bottling today. Slightly different recipe than the one mentioned above, but we used one from River Cottage recipe banks. I have tasted it - and was surprised at how pleasantly dry it is. After a bit of fizz forming in the bottles, looking forward to enjoying it.
    I believe it's about a month in the bottles for it to be ready?

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    I didn't see yeast in the ingredients list. Do elder flowers have natural yeast on them? I know there is no yeast added in proper cider because there is enough on the apples. Is it the same deal with elder flowers?

Incidentally, you can make a very refreshing but still (and non-alcohol) version very quickly using a similar recipe. I made some last year. Just don't add the vinegar, and add a lime in place of the lemons. Just simmer the mix for a minute then leave it to brew until it cools enough to be bottled up, then straight in the fridge. Drink it any time once it has become sufficiently chilled.

7. Pippa

Pippa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My other half used to do this many moons ago but with a different recipe.It was lovely.:)

8. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Gonna have a go at this Marley ,cheers . I love Elderflower flavoured drinks ,my Mother used to make wine :thumb::).