1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric tool for digging out thick, tough bramble roots?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by TheMadHedger, Apr 23, 2020.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Over the past few months I've been spending an awful lot of time cutting back brambles, the worst part is dealing with the bramble stumps and roots. I just don't have the time (or the strength!) to dig up all of the root systems (I know, they'll likely spring forth again but I can then keep them in check) so I tend to use my loppers to push into the ground a few inches below the main 'trunk' and then slowly cut out the main segment of root.

This works but it's wrecking my right thumb (tender nerve now on the inner side and slightly numb on inner edge of topmost jointed area of thumb).

So I'm wondering if there is a suitable electric tool which is tough enough to deal with roots/lower stems that are an inch or more thick.

I see that electric pruners exist but I don't know if they would be strong enough?

I have a lot more roots/bramble stumps to deal with I'm afraid.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Rather than contempate on expensive, heavy and equally hard to handle power tools, wouldn't it be simpler to get a strong gardener to pull or dig them out for you ?

Seems many self employed gardeners are still working, they keep their distance and just leave a bucket for you to put the money into.

For any regrowth, which you may get with so many stumps, use Vitax SBK Brushwood Killer, we used some on a big patch of bramble foliage last spring, still no signs of any regrowth this spring.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
      +226
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,615
      I have this saw - BLACK & DECKER RS890K and it has taken an absolute pounding over the years. Bit or overkill for brambles really, but it would definitely cope with them

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
    • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
      Ratings:
      +6,899
      I was told that if you keep cutting the regrowth on brambles as soon it appears it will eventually die. It does work but it's not a quick fix.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,335
        I use a mattock for that type of job.

• Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
        +491
        A reciprocating saw is great for dealing with roots. They don't always last though - I've broken a couple.

Don't be tempted to get a cordless one though. Cordless is great for pruning where the cable would get in the way, but the battery won't last and generally it won't have the same grunt.

• Like Like x 1
        • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
          +226
          Thanks everyone for the advice - how long do reciprocating saw blades tend to last when used on bramble stumps and roots? I mean, assuming that I don't bend the blade at any awkward angles are they pretty tough and relatively long-lasting?

If I was to go for a reciprocating saw I'd definitely not use a cordless, partly because of the extra weight that a battery would add to it (and the issues of the charge and the 'grunt').

I have a Mattock but I also unfortunately have a lower back that over the years easily gets strained, so I'd likely mess that up again if I tried a mattock.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,203
          Hi,

Have used a recip saw to cut though a 100mm concrete black wall so the blades can be quiet long lasting, but check what blades are available for the model you buy, you would ideally want a long, strong wood type of blade.

However do not think it would be my choice for the job as the blades may break too easily if you hit a stone etc and perhaps they might not go deep enough ?

Though have never used one , wonder if these chain saws around the same price point might be more up to the job ? though think you will need some hand and face protection.

000171.jpg

• TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
          +226
          Thanks. I had briefly pondered a chainsaw of some type, there's even some mini ones out there like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-EasyCut-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-Battery/dp/B071NW5S5Q/

but I was concerned about the amount of dirt and stones it would throw up whenever it contacts the soil (which is bound to happen at times when cutting the extreme base of the stumps). Besides, I don't think I'd trust myself with a chainsaw of any type, I value my appendages too much. :)

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
          +3,718
          I have a chainsaw too but I wouldn't use that below soil level, recip blades can be relatively cheap so not a great expense, I've used recip blades to cut through steel girders (slowly I admit:heehee:) so they can be quite strong but pliable too.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,615
          Chainsaws are dangerous with a capital 'F' if used without suitable protective equipment and a well thought out work method. If you don't absolutely need a chainsaw, and are now willing to pay for all the ancillary PPE, then please don't buy one.

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,945
          Don't use chainsaw in the soil it will blunt the chain, block up the guide bar and damage the slip clutch, better to use an axe, it will be cheaper

You don't get a second chance with a chainsaw if it hits human flesh, I know a few people with bits missing dew to chainsaws

• Agree Agree x 1
          • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
            +226
            Don't worry, I've ruled out a chainsaw for this particular application (or any application for that matter). :)