1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Email privacy???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by redstar, Oct 4, 2015.

1. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,534
    Just wondering the opinion of others for this situation.
    Here it is.

OK, so your working in your office and you need to print out some reports. you hear the printer working, so you go down the hall to gather the papers. The paper depth is small/or the height you know that the report will be, two or three pages. You head back to your desk to process the report. As your going through the papers to sign the areas that need signing, you discover that under your report someone had printed out a email.

So the question is:

Do you read the email? Or quickly take it back to the printer where it had been found, an for how long it was sitting there ---who knows.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd put it in an envelope then ask around :)

3. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +10,534
    ok, so Zig. NOT read it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
      Ratings:
      +7,491
      I'd do the same as Zigs...put it in an envelope and find out who had used the printer before me. So no, I wouldn't read it. It's for someone else to read not me. :)

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Ratings:
      +10,534
      there are several printers in the building, and many people in the building. When I print out something really important, I am down the hall, at at the printer before its even done to grab it up.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Yep, unless it's from your boss to someone who you hate :snork:

While we'm on this, every printer has a hard drive that keeps everything thats ever been printed or scanned, so if its a hire one you're handing over everything to the hire company when you send it back unless you wipe the drive :spinning:

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Ratings:
      +10,534
      OK so now we have --- a depends on who it is from. Actually this happens quite often in these offices. You go up to a printer, and find on the side stuff "someone" printed out, who knows when, and never came over to pick it up.
      So this is not just the first time, for me, nor for lots of others to see email sitting there in the printer. Just wondering thoughts. By the way I read it and put it back. Keeps me in the know sometime.
      Again, my take on it, is that when I print something out, I am there to grab it right away. Cause I really don't want anyone to know something about what's going on in my department.

• Like Like x 1
      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Ratings:
        +10,534
        and I did know that all printers make a mirror copy of what is printed, trust me no one is that savvy to want to go there. They just go back and press print again, thinking they sent it to the wrong printer.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Could be a good way of feeding disinformation, you wouldn't believe the fun I had when I asked a colleague when they were fitting the trackers to the company vans :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,610
            I would read who to/from to find out who commanded it to be printed and hand it over to them. If I didn't know the party, I'd simply shred it.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,361
            Ah well!!

I'm nosy :heehee: so I'd read it. It can't really require much privacy as it has been left where anyone can see it. If it was that important the person would have got it immediately.

In most companies there is a way to print highly sensitive material that will be away from other prying eyes.

Anyone printing something on a central printer must expect it to be seen at some time. Central printers should only be used for non-sensitive documents. :noidea:

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              That email could have been confidential, and even if not to an in-house company email address, it could have been to a member of staff using a private email address (as with Hilary Clinton?).

I would either:

1) Immediately destroy it, making a note of my reasons for doing so, like recipient not obvious, placing back in printer tray would be after recipient gave up checking for it, etc., or

2) Make enquiries as to intended recipient, they may not be immediately obvious, but your IT Section should be able to identify who's sent a print run to a particular printer immediately before yourself.

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Ratings:
              +10,534
              I should add to your information. from anywhere in the office areas, to any of the many printers--you can press the print button, and move off your seat, down the hall to the printer. And there are three locations of printers, so the person picks the printer the nearest to his /her office so to not walk far to get their stuff.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,361
              I realise that I didn't actually say what I would do with it once I've read it. :doh:

I guess that the recipient of the email would have been the one printing it, although it could be one that they have just sent. Either way, it belongs to the person in the company who has received it or sent it.

This should be obvious from the email. If it was of a sensitive nature I would take it to them and give them a boll***ing for being so careless. If it wasn't of a sensitive nature I would, also, take it to them and deal with it in a lesser manner.

Signed
              The Boss

:heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                +19,595
                Easy answer to an easy question. I'd read it. Every time. It pays to know what's going on at work. It can make the difference between knowing to jump ship when a better opportunity arises, to being blissfully ignorant until a notice of redundancy lands on your desk the day after that other opportunity that you passed up has passed. Or it can make the difference between knowing to jump ship at the earliest opportunity, or not getting paid on the last payday before Christmas because the boss that said the company isn't struggling at all is actually skint and being chased by everyone for unpaid debts.

I wouldn't actively endeavour to snoop, but if the information is put in front of me, intentionally or not, I'm not going to put loyalty to company before loyalty to family.

As to the original question, after reading the print out, I'd then put it back.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1