1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Empty unused space in garden, pls help worst gardener ever!

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Emma Ball, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Emma Ball

Emma Ball Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Good afternoon All!

My name is Emma, I am a 35 year old woman from Bucks who lives with my husband, 4 year old son and dog, Maya.
    I am the worst gardener in the world. The only thing I have managed to grow myself and not kill is my son. I think plants just hate me.
    Now I am wanting to change that! My garden is a state, very basic, couple of side beds a few herbs that are self sustaining and that is about it. At the back of the garden there is a space that is completely unused, around 8.5 foot long by 3 feet wide. I dont have the money, skill or to be honest want to build a pond, but just want to do something, anything, with it! I was thinking of a little wildlife area, maybe a hedgehog nest, bird feeders, that kind of thing. But I have no idea where to start! What would I put on the ground?! It doesnt drain so I was thinking some kind of wood chip but now I think that may hurt the wildlife?! I have no idea! Any help is really appreciated, as I have no lawn I want to create something my son can actively take interest in within the garden. If pictures are needed I shall take them! Thank you :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Anzia

Anzia Gardener

Ratings:
      +516
      You could do a wildlife area quite easily and your son would love that! Start now with things like a bird table, bird bath and some piles of logs or twigs on the ground. You can put bird food out together every day and spy on the wildlife area from a distance to see what visitors you get! The logs or twig stack will harbour insects and creepy crawlies that your son can have a look at. You could even build a bug hotel together over the next few months like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/131225434882-0-1/s-l1000.jpg
      In Sep/Oct get a packet of wildflower seeds and sprinkle them lightly over the whole area and give them a bit of water and they will shoot up by themselves from March next year. Even you can't kill them! They look after themselves :phew: :biggrin:
      I'm planning exactly the same sort of thing at the bottom bit of my back garden where I've got an awkward triangle shape and an apple tree and not a lot else!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,028
        Welcome to GC :sign0016: @Emma Ball

Great suggestions from @Anzia, maybe you should put some pictures up so that members can see what you have to work with and then recommend some ideas for you and your son :spinning:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,139
        Does water lie there in puddles?